JB Water Weld, sikaflex or welding for hole on aluminium boat

sam bros

Hey guys

My quitrex 455 escape has a very small hole on the hull of the boat near the stern.

Just wondering if anyone has used either jb water weld or sika flex to seal these holes

Or is it better to go with an actual weld?

Any advice would be appreciated 

Cheers 

On my old Tinnie at the bow as it curves down to the bottom I had 3 small holes (1 or 2mm) which were caused by a rock when doing beach launches / landings and going to close to the shore fishing.

I used Kneed it from bunnings

1. Cleaned the outside and inside of the boat at the hole

2. mixed the kneed it and rolled it into a small cone shape, with a sharp point

3. Pushed the shar point into the hole from the outside and while I kept pressure from outside one of the kids spread the kneed it on the inside and added a small amount of extra knee it on the inside.

4. I then smoothed the kneed it on the outside 

5. Gave it 24hrs to harden and never touched it again for the 2yrs I owned the boat. which include multiple beach landings and launches

• Like 1

JB weld or Devcon plastic steel is what I use for small holes, some on both sides.

Just make sure you sand the area a bit & clean it well with metho before applying.

Very hard to alloy weld spots on plates, actually near impossible I'd say, would probably make the hole bigger?

Id still use the JB or DC even on a larger hole but would consider using a small alloy plate on each side to reinforce the hole, especially if it was in an area that was under a bit of force from water pressure.  

Edited by kingie chaser

How big is the hole?

I've used JB weld for a small hole (say 1mm x 3mm) on the bottom of my tinny. The hole was from when I unknowing lost a poly roller on trailer & the post rubbed a hole in the hull!).... I fixed it about 8yrs ago and doesn't leak a drop. 

I had some welding done on my plate boat, and i was pretty happy with the work.  It was expensive, but I had a lot done. You might be looking  at $100

One the small boat, I had a small hole. I cut a small piece of aluminium that when over the hole, one for each side. Drilled them put sixaflex between them and then pop riveted it. Seems ok to me

Your boat sound like it is in between my two. If you want to give it a go, try the rivet method and see how you go.

56 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

I had some welding done on my plate boat, and i was pretty happy with the work.  It was expensive, but I had a lot done. You might be looking  at $100

One the small boat, I had a small hole. I cut a small piece of aluminium that when over the hole, one for each side. Drilled them put sixaflex between them and then pop riveted it. Seems ok to me

Your boat sound like it is in between my two. If you want to give it a go, try the rivet method and see how you go.

keep your eye on disimilar metal corrosion-this can still occur with aluminium rivets.

• Like 1

The price of a proper welding repair will depend on how much preparation is required to do the repair if patching is required will be considerably more. Your bet bet is to do it properly  pm me for more information 

• Like 1