I'm over it.... I give up.... (boat storage)

DerekD

I’m over it… I give up…

Before anyone advises me to call a helpline, this is only a vent and a something to think about for first time prospective boat owners in Sydney. I live in the Lane Cove area. I’ve grown up in the Lower North Shore of Sydney, have family in the general area and a mortgage (rather than rent) so moving out of Sydney is unlikely.

As per Ratty in Wind in the Willows: “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats”. There is something magical about getting on the water and so many fantastic memories in my life have come from days and nights  on the water (and especially fishing from watercraft). Over time I’ve acquired a kayak (in the garage) and small runabout on a trailer.

I live in a unit with a garage which is hard enough to access with a car and thinking of taking the trailer up or down the tight bending driveway is asking for trouble. I made the decision to store the boat and trailer in front of a small park in the street behind mine and for years didn’t have an issue. At that time there were plenty of spots so no one could really whinge I was taking up a spot in front of their place.

A few years back due to difficulty of finding spots (guessing it is due to more people sharing accommodation as there haven’t been any new buildings in that part of the street since I moved there), local roadworks and the NBN being installed in the area it was easier to store it at my dad’s in a quiet street in Willoughby. A month or so back my dad told me there was a note left on the boat from the Council advising that it was reported as abandoned, was on an unregistered trailer (both boat and trailer ARE registered) and would be removed in three days.

Had to find somewhere quickly late on a Friday night and took it to Mosman bay as there were a few other boats stored there and there are no time limits. One of the people down there saw me with the boat and advised me he had had issues storing his centre console down there as someone had slashed the tyres. He’d fixed the tyres and moved the boat elsewhere in Mosman and then had the tyres slashed again (likely the same person). So my boat got moved again and back to Lane Cove where it used to live.

Lane Cove has implemented a rule where the boat must be moved at least one block every 28 days. With a few days left to spare I went to move it on Sunday only to find that the cable for the trailer lights had been damaged and I am almost certain it was deliberately done based on where the damage was and the amount of force it would have taken. Fortunately, I had just enough spare cable to be able to rewire the plug and be road legal to move it.

I went to move it to Rozelle but due to construction works, the location I had in mind was difficult to access. I had some chores and a friend to meet up with so towed the boat around for the day. Asked him if there was storage in front of his house in Killarney Heights but with both his neighbours having dual occupancy the spots were also tight. Furthermore, it seems they have someone in the suburb frequently and loudly protesting about the boats stored on the streets in the suburb (some probably due to the proximity to the boat ramp at Roseville bridge).

After finding a viable short term location with my friend’s assistance and chocking it while standing in the rain I came to the sad decision to sell it. Just getting too hard to store a boat (at least in this part of Sydney) without worrying about it getting damaged or trying to meet Council rules. Furthermore, with fishing being classified as a passive exercise under the governmental Covid guidelines I understand the ramps are getting stupidly busy. Fortunately I still have some mates with boats and the kayak to get me out on the water.

For those Raiders thinking of getting into boating for the first time, think about the challenge of short and long term storage. Sydney is getting more packed by the week, people are getting more cars (e.g. work and private), there seems to be an increase in occupancy for existing accommodation, Councils are changing rules about street storage (even for legally registered trailers) and some people are just @rs3h0L35 who will damage other people’s stuff because they seem to take personal offence to other people using resources which are obviously for them alone.

Rant kind of over.

Derek

PS. If I can sell the runabout, trailer and 30HP electric start motor for a reasonable price I may as well get some more fishing gear. Got to find the silver lining. ^_^

PPS. I realise that other people have it far worse than I do in these crazy times and while a bit depressing I'll be fine in the end. I know I'll be repeating advice that you will see more and more often but in the last few months we have been seeing the importance of mental health and well-being on a world wide basis so if things are starting to get to you please reach out as well as keeping an eye on those around you.

Edited by DerekD
  • Sad 6

I feel for you & your sutuation Derek & Im sure your not alone.

Unfortunately I dont think its going to get better but much worse, worse for areas in Sydney that there are less restrictions currently.

Parking all over Sydney is such a sort after thing & also has become a lucrative business for councils which in itself is BS.

E.g There is a building being proposed by Randwick council next door to me that they want to build 19 stories high, the current zoning limit is 7 stories, not only that in the proposal they have only allocated 9 parking spots to this building, YES you read right 9 parking spots for a 400 people apartment block. So where is everyone going to park in a location where there already is not enough parking currently for residents??

So essentiall someone palm in council will be getting greased & hand movements under the table to get this through!

If I can liken this to say someone who owns a pet, due to their love of wanting to own them they will move to a location or style of housing just so they can have them-Eg home over an apartment.

It seems like the only real solution here??

I'll tell you something, Im over it to!!

Im over Sydney all together & as soon as financially possible I am out of this place!

I came very close to having to sell my boat a few years ago for similar very reasons so understand how disapointing that can be. Lived in a unit and used to store it at my Dad's place but he decided he had to downsize so I was going to be left without a spot to keep it. I had pleanty of mates telling me just to keep it on the street in front of a park or the like but always knew if it came to that I would inevitably have to sell it for all the reasons you've just spoken of. Thankfully the place my Dad was buying off plan ran quite late and in that time my wife and I were able to stretch ourselves a little and buy our first house which has a decent street frontage on a culdesac, so I was able to keep the boat.

As you say, there are pleanty of people worse off in the world but it still hurts to have one of your passions in life taken away in that fashion and there is certainly a whole lot of emotional attachement that builds up with a boat that you have fished off for many years. Hope you still get out there pleanty with your mates and with the kayak. You're clearly an extremely knowledgable fisho so I'm sure there should always be people keen to have you along.

Well done putting it down as a warning for others.

Cheers,

Rich

55 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Its pretty pathetic, yes, Unless you move to a suburb that has off street parking with a good driveway, is about your only solution, and depending on your budget, probably not a preferred area.
Im 15-20 minutes drive to Silverwater ramp as the closest and I have a driveway I put the boat in, so im sort of lucky.

Councils are pathetic and their hissy fits or because someone had a whine.

That's what I have now, but nowhere in Sydney is safe with the Population Ponzi being forced on us. Now my council had approved high and medium rise in my area to house another 25,000 people. Of course with not enough parking spaces so the streets will be filled with cars. Even with a driveway it will mean it will be hard to have enough turning room to get the boat in and out.

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

Is dry storage an option for you guys somewhere around Sydney? For smaller boats possibly even a storage king shed or similar

I've seen boats stored on the premises of KSS with easy car access - under the sky/not in the shed. Prices away from Sydney centre are lower.

I had the same issue, however I knew that before buying the boat.

there is a guy ups the road from me with a paddock which he leases trailer space.

I took this into account before buying the boat, and so far it all good- 24 hour access to a locked paddock, allocated spot, and a wash down bay.

8 minutes ago, Rey05 said:

I had the same issue, however I knew that before buying the boat.

there is a guy ups the road from me with a paddock which he leases trailer space.

I took this into account before buying the boat, and so far it all good- 24 hour access to a locked paddock, allocated spot, and a wash down bay.

I'm jealous!! 🙂

Interesting read/great rant!.. I definitely can relate!

I used to live in apartment in Northern Beaches and was lucky enough to park my boat on street in front of my parents house nearby for years, however it always annoyed me when i came home from fishing and someone had taken the parking spot or there was a car parked in front making it impossible to get my boat in/out!......Love owning a boat but storage has always a problem.

Made the move out of Sydney recently (South Coast) and now have my boat parked in driveway (along with room for 2x cars)... happy days!

Not a boat owner ......... but have crazy car club friends with too many cars with similar issues 

One solution (that is sorta affordable) is to sniff around for a local with a spare garage who wants to rent it out.  One mate pays ~$50 wk for a double in the inner west (Five Dock), which I believe he found on a local community FB page 

Good luck 

Edited by OttoVu
clarity

Wow, I'm glad I have a place down in the Illawarra to store my water crafts. After reading this and looking at prices for dry storage ($400 a month) or winter storage ($100 a month) I'd probably do the same and sell the trailered craft and keep the yaks 😁

Just sold my boat, which lived in the driveway of my house, but can understand the frustration of not being able to park one where you live. My mate has a caravan parked in the street outside his house. It belongs to a guy who lives one street away, who says he doesn't want to take up parking space in his street and annoy his neighbours!!!! What the.  I guess if you own a house and someone parks their boat outside for weeks/months/years on end, it may become an annoyance. Just another perspective.

• Confused 1

Im so sorry to hear this Derek. 

Im lucky enough to have my boat parked in the driveway, but have a few friends who experience similar dramas to you. Frankly it is so disappointing that there are those few entitled whingers who ruin it for everyone else. 

We live in the age of entitlement unfortunately, where everyone wants everything to go their way, without any regard to other people.

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, motiondave said:

and...how long have you lived in Sydney :D
heheeee

I lived there many years - Chatswood, north Sydney, lavender bay, Paddington, Cremorne, neutral bay, Darlinghurst, Kensington, Bondi.

why do you ask?

The 28 day council rules I could have just worked within. It is the worry of further vandalism that is the deal breaker. I got off relatively lightly this time....

One of the people at work pointed out that ironically by damaging the trailer cables the trailer probably would have been there longer while I sorted out a replacement cable.

Edited by DerekD

On 8/12/2020 at 8:05 AM, kingie chaser said:

I feel for you & your sutuation Derek & Im sure your not alone.

Parking all over Sydney is such a sort after thing & also has become a lucrative business for councils which in itself is BS.

E.g There is a building being proposed by Randwick council next door to me that they want to build 19 stories high, the current zoning limit is 7 stories, not only that in the proposal they have only allocated 9 parking spots to this building, YES you read right 9 parking spots for a 400 people apartment block. So where is everyone going to park in a location where there already is not enough parking currently for residents??

Hi KC and thank you.

At one stage I heard that all new buildings needed to have 1.5 parking spots per unit. This made sense in that not every dwelling has 2 cars so while one might need 2 spots another might only need 1 and overall there is a spot for each car.

9 spots only is insane... Love to learn the Council logic behind this one.

Regards,

Derek

5 hours ago, Killer said:

Just sold my boat, which lived in the driveway of my house, but can understand the frustration of not being able to park one where you live. My mate has a caravan parked in the street outside his house. It belongs to a guy who lives one street away, who says he doesn't want to take up parking space in his street and annoy his neighbours!!!! What the.  I guess if you own a house and someone parks their boat outside for weeks/months/years on end, it may become an annoyance. Just another perspective.

That would Sh!t me as well

I see a few long term parking in Wharf Road Melrose Park near the ramp, mostly it would not bother people as its factories on one side, so the residents are not affected. Also notice heaps of Shit trailers and boats parked on Lilyfield rd.

Both of these roads are long enough that you could move the boat 500 - 800mtrs down the road after each use to spread the love.

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

x 52 weeks = $2,600 per year....

I've thought about it but that is a a lot of fishing gear sitting there....

That true - but in the case of cars the potential savings in insurance sometimes pays for the parking.  <- Car Guy logic !!! 

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

... Love to learn the Council logic behind this one.

Nah - look elsewhere .....developer pushing for less parking (its extremely expensive to built underground parking) couched in "nice, touchy feely" greenwash terms 

Me: Near 40 yr professional in the Design/Construction industry - Resi work sucks 

On 8/12/2020 at 8:05 AM, kingie chaser said:

There is a building being proposed by Randwick council next door to me that they want to build 19 stories high, the current zoning limit is 7 stories, not only that in the proposal they have only allocated 9 parking spots to this building, YES you read right 9 parking spots for a 400 people apartment block. So where is everyone going to park in a location where there already is not enough parking currently for residents?

As someone who works in property i cant help but point out that i think you must be mistaken.

How did you conclude that there is only 9 parking spots for 400 apartments. I challenge you to find one other building in the whole of Australia that has this arrangement.

There is no building or planning regulation that allows this, and, most importantly, let me tell you as a developer, we want parking spaces..... as much as humanly possible..... Because it makes it easier to sell our product. There's only a few people who want to buy an apartment without parking spaces (mostly in the inner city), the vast majority of apartment owners will want parking.

Do you have a link to the development proposal documents on Councils website that can corroborate 9 parking spaces for 400 apartments? 

15 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

As someone who works in property i cant help but point out that i think you must be mistaken.

How did you conclude that there is only 9 parking spots for 400 apartments. I challenge you to find one other building in the whole of Australia that has this arrangement.

There is no building or planning regulation that allows this, and, most importantly, let me tell you as a developer, we want parking spaces..... as much as humanly possible..... Because it makes it easier to sell our product. There's only a few people who want to buy an apartment without parking spaces (mostly in the inner city), the vast majority of apartment owners will want parking.

Do you have a link to the development proposal documents on Councils website that can corroborate 9 parking spaces for 400 apartments? 

Well it's a moot point. Unless you can tell me that there is a car space for every unit owner who drives then there will be more cars parked on the street. Even medium density means more cars parked on the street with some of the latest planning regulations. You might have 5 adults living in a household for instance and only one car space required. And that's only the half of it. Cramming thousands of extra people into a small area just means more congestion and loss of amenity under all plausible build out strategies.