Newbie to Braid

OttoVu

Just in the process of converting to the world of braid and TBH am a  bit bewildered with the choice and options.  The pinned guide on this forum is a great help.   

After seemingly countless hours of research I have come across a comment a few times whereby some ppl have recommended to go slightly higher breaking strain than strictly required with the underlying reasoning being as the braid (good quality) is very thin anyways getting the benefits of higher BS (greater abrasion resistance and general strength) without an appreciable loss in castability.  We are talking about trout/bream light spinning gear and using 10 lb braid vs 6 lb (my old mono)

Your  learned thoughts ??

I'm not too clued up on trout, but used to fish bream tournaments and my braid of choice was 8 and 6lb. 

The 8lb was used around oyster leases and barnacle encrusted snags and would snap a 12lb leader if snagged or I locked up the drag. The manufacturer stated it broke between 15 and 18lb. 6lb would actually break around 12.

I reckon you couldn't go wrong with a quality 6lb braid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I'm not too clued up on trout, but used to fish bream tournaments

Funny you mention this as one of those recommending the step up is a known bream tournament competitor ...... 

I fish 8lb braid and change leaders 4lb, 8lb, 12lb depending on structure and what I am doing. Don't get too worried about what braids break at what because some cheap braids can even break lower than their retail breaking strain. Some braids break at double the strength of what they are retailed at but I would never use this as a guide because once you go over the retail strength you can never be 100% sure when its actually going to pop. 

Generally if you have a decent braid you can get away with upping the leader a few pounds from the breaking strein as long as your knots are on point Fg knot or GT knot. Make sure if you do a GT knot to seal the uni knot with 2 half hitches otherwise it slips. 

• Like 1

Hi OV,

One of the braids I use is Berkley X5 and on a box of 4lb it states it will actually break a bit over 10lb. Most braid overtests and I suspect a lot of companies do this partially to take knot strength into account.

I was fishing my 4lb against a mate's 8lb on light gear and I was casting noticeably further

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1