Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. Water again murky from the rain.

Pulled out three jewies, around 50, 68 and 73cm, all on squid strips and all released. Only the one legal reddie, and 3 red gurnard, all on fish strips. Kept the biggest and released the other 2 as they were smallish.

Plenty of pickers stripping off all baits, mainly small reddies. No photos of the jewies as they were quickly released.

When the tide turned and started running in, I headed to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers. Not a bite around there or near the ballast heap, so I headed to Gunnamatta flats near the mouth, where I pulled out the whiting. Dropped a trevally boat side and that was it for the bites on nippers.

fish.jpeg.254_files.thumb.jpg.3cfa2f577aadec30d3ae06501301d9bf.jpg

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Plumb said:

Awesome work, withthe water is still so ridiculously brown. 

Just had to give it a go. At this time of year the water is normally clear and the fish harder to find.

3 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Nice result inside for this time of year, looks like the rain is keeping it ticking along which is great. Shame that biggger Jew couldn't find 2cm more for you!! Still a nice catch at 73cm.

Cheers,

Rich

Not bad for this time of year up river, all on hand lines so a bit of fun. Happy with the whiting, very tasty fish.

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work as usual Yowie.

Its my mission to get a legal snapper & whiting in PH this year 😄

They are there, just a matter of telling them to take your bait. 😂🤣

On 8/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, Yowie said:

Not bad for this time of year up river, all on hand lines so a bit of fun. Happy with the whiting, very tasty fish.

Yeah, I grew up fishing nippers on hand lines around the deeper bays in the Hacking. Those Jewies are great fun when the line really starts pulling through your fingers. Don't use hand lines much these days but I reckon it was the best way to learn how to properly play out a big fish.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 1