Bent split ring

Yon

Still chasing the local salmon school as they swim around the Waverley beaches. 
Had an early spin session today and noticed that even though I was hitting the school from all sides, in the middle, shallow and deep I wasn’t getting any hookups. 
After a 10 minute test, I casted out my lure and the tip of my rod flew into the water with it. I hadn’t been paying attention and it had come loose. I felt like a swim anyway so I went in after it and surprisingly after it was back on, I was able to retrieve my lure. 
I was just trying to get my lure back when something grabbed it and RAN! 
After my adventure yesterday, I was ready this time and had my drag on a bit turf here than usually (but still pretty loose).
After about 5 minutes battling what I was positive was a big salmon, it was almost at my feet on the edge of the rock platform I was on. 
It was a massive, healthy, fat salmon! 
Ive been having trouble landing the big ones, so I’ve been trying to let the waves do the work for me. Unfortunately I mis-timed it and the wave sucked him back as I pulled up, which basically pulled the hook out. 
I put the lite straight back out and hooked up a more normal 2kg-3kg salmon. Landed without issue and as I got him up I noticed that my split ring was completely unravelled! See the photo below - needs to be seen to be believed. 
Had to run off to work after that, but the kids ate the fish as sashimi as a prelude to dinner! 
Hard to believe how much power these beasts have! A part of me is actually happy when they win the battle. Makes me feel like it’s a more even match. 
When I win they get eaten - I guess that’s the way of the world. 
7907DACA-C283-40C8-8293-B8B2BFECFE42.thumb.jpeg.5e20d76fe39850120952e05ef7f5465c.jpeg

C3DB5E6F-13D3-4701-A7AE-28AA7BA3B3B9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice result 👌

About the split ring, the split ring is actually attached to the hook so no idea why there was another one that is a smaller gauge?

The bent one doesn't even look like it's steel

Ah - because I usually put on two split rings. I find that the added freedom of movement keeps the fish better hooked than if I only have the one ring. Especially with fish that jump to throw the lure. 
In this case, I was in a rush to get out and instead of putting on two of my own split rings, I just attached one to the ring that came with the lure. 
At $2 for the rigged lure, I guess you can’t expect much in the way of quality on the split ring. 
Lesson learnt...

• Like 1