Ron's Tips #1 Anchor Tool

campr

out of curiosity,

can you post. pic of your boat with mild steel fixings. id love to see how that hold up after a few uses.

316ss is the go for salt water environments...... yes you have listed failures of it, but im sure there would be far more failures of people using MS.

I mean if you search hard enough you can find "evidence" of the earth being flat......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rey05 said:

out of curiosity,

can you post. pic of your boat with mild steel fixings. id love to see how that hold up after a few uses.

316ss is the go for salt water environments...... yes you have listed failures of it, but im sure there would be far more failures of people using MS.

I mean if you search hard enough you can find "evidence" of the earth being flat......

I didn't have to search very hard actually. You are welcome to provide counter evidence of more failures in anchoring gear with gal mild steel (good luck with that). As I keep having to point out bringing  up other uses is a diversion/ the whataboutism rhetorical fallacy.

Anyway here's another informative article:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/is-stainless-steel-really-the-best-metal-for-use-in-an-anchor 

1 hour ago, kingfishbig said:

I didn't have to search very hard actually. You are welcome to provide counter evidence of more failures in anchoring gear with gal mild steel (good luck with that). As I keep having to point out bringing  up other uses is a diversion/ the whataboutism rhetorical fallacy.

Anyway here's another informative article:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/is-stainless-steel-really-the-best-metal-for-use-in-an-anchor 

if me bringing up other uses is a diversion, isn't you not posting or answering the question about the fixings on your boat also a diversion?

that's some serious inception stuff there...

enjoy your mild steel boat fixings, ill enjoy my stainless steel ones.

I know mine will look 10 times better, and last 10 times longer.

but hey, you do you mate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rey05 said:

if me bringing up other uses is a diversion, isn't you not posting or answering the question about the fixings on your boat also a diversion?

that's some serious inception stuff there...

enjoy your mild steel boat fixings, ill enjoy my stainless steel ones.

I know mine will look 10 times better, and last 10 times longer.

but hey, you do you mate. 

How can not posting on a topic be a diversion? You have to actually post something at least for it to be called that. PS: I am not too worried about what my anchor gear looks like.

Thanks for your comment Baz.

If people want to go off topic like this they should just start their own topic.  Anyone reading this will have forgotten what the original topic was and less likely to raise comment.  Ron

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:44 PM, campr said:

Over the next week or two I will share a few solutions I came up with for little issues I have found through the years with my boats.  These will simple and cheap to do.

Quite a few years ago I went out on a mates boat and he asked me to change the anchor and attach a reef pick.  The shackle was seized with rust and I couldn't undo.  Mate directed me to a set of pliers and naturally these were in same condition and rusted up.  Dug into my tackle box for pliers and soon had reef pick attached but tines were straightened from last use.  Mate had a short length of gal pipe to bend tines into shape which worked fine but it somehow didn't surprise me that this resulted in a shower of rust onto the deck from inside the pipe.

On getting home I put my thinking cap on for a solution and made the following. 

Found a couple of short lengths of heavy walled aluminium pipe left over from making a rocket launcher on my Lazeabout which were about the right size for bending tines on anchor and wouldn't have any rusting issues.  I then made a coupe of shallow cuts in one end and joined cuts with a file so I had a small slot about an eighth of an inch wide to fit the tag on end of shackle bolt as per photo.  This acts as a spanner to tighten/loosen shackles and I have also be used it on jammed bungs.  I keep this on bottom of anchor well where it is always at hand should I need to re-bend reef picks or should a shackle jam.  Mate was happy to receive one for his boat.

Hope some of you find this useful.  Ron

20200816_212856.thumb.jpg.2451012bec306119743692ad00353c49.jpg

20200816_212934.jpg

Great idea, Ron! I’m going to make one of these myself! 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

The way you are raving on about, anyone would think we are anchoring a 200,000 t ship. The way I look it at is anything that I use will not fail before the anchor drags on the sand or the rock pick on the reef, the prongs will straighten long before anything else gives way. 

That's the only paragraph that is on topic. The whole point is that the strength rating goes out the window once corrosion sets in. Look at this example. It has a SWL of 1350 kg (same as Zoran's swivel) and is made of 316 stainless which you are going on about:

https://www.fsc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Anchor20Swivel20Report.pdf

Edited by kingfishbig

15 hours ago, campr said:

Thanks for your comment Baz.

If people want to go off topic like this they should just start their own topic.  Anyone reading this will have forgotten what the original topic was and less likely to raise comment.  Ron

Well you got plenty of comments liking your innovation, ie it didn't seem to stop anyone. Zoran's set up was actually on the same topic - anchoring.

• Sad 1