The Entrance Fishing

Azza_Fishing

I am going fishing at The Entrance this weekend. Any good places there to go for a fish. 

I am looking to find places to fish from the shore. Gonna be using lures (for flathead and bream).

I want to go to a place where there won't be many people there, because they don't know about it, but u can catch big dogs there. 

Cheers

Azza_Fishing 

The wind is predicted as hard westerly on weekend  the west side of bridge will be a wopeout   which leaves eastern or ocean side of system  park on south side halfway towards ocean and wade out onto the sandflats  small SPs and minnows work best  natural colours to imitate prawns    good luck

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Came across this topic 1yr later, and don’t really have anything better to do so might give some advice for anyone still seeing this and wanting to go fishing at the entrance. The first piece of advice is don’t go fishing at the entrance in winter or early spring. It’s just pointless. Sure it may be your lucky day and you may catch fish, but the chance is greatly reduced. Summer is the best time, and early autumn is also ok. If you want big flatties and maybe the lucky big bream, wade out to the flats, and fish the dropoffs. The drop off near the bridge is pretty good, but there are some other good drop offs as well. Check an aerial picture of the entrance, and you will be able to see all the drop offs and shallow areas. Lures will work provided you use them with the correct technique. However I like to use bait on a running sinker rig, and it works pretty well for flatties and bream. For the flatties you can use double snell, but I usually don’t. The line I use is usually something like 12 pound braid and 8 pound leader, but you could go lighter. I wouldn’t recommend going much heavier though. A fairly small sinker should do the trick on top of the swivel. Bait wise I use prawns, pillies and chicken. Personally I would rank prawns best, chicken second and pillies third. This is just my experience though.   For whiting you should use a long shank hook, and worms work best at night. But I’m not much of a whiting fisho so don’t have much to offer on that. There are some monster whiting in the entrance though.Cheers