New to Wollongong Area

Gongfisha

Hi all, 

New to this site, just wondering is anybody on here from the Wollongong area? I'm just after some local knowledge and if anybody is keen to show me some tips or show me around would be awesome. We have just moved here and haven't done a lot of saltwater fishing as we've come from the country so only really know trolling for trout and spin fishing in rivers. 

Looking at buying a boat soon as well so same dilemma, don't know much at all about ocean fishing from a boat so if there are any guides on here that would be much appreciated when I get the boat.

Will pay for your services and help.

Thanks guys and gal's, hopefully catching something with you soon.

I'm down in Calderwood and have grown up around the gong. I work shift work in Sydney so I'm usually at the apartment up there and only come down to the gong when doing the graveyard hours or on OFF days. 

More than happy to answer any questions about the area and if time permits meet up for a flick 👍

Thanks heaps mate, let me know when you're around I'd be keen as for a flick with you. Any help and tips for the area would be much appreciated. I'm in Woonona, number is 0418892340.

Do you fish from the bank mainly or you have a boat? Thanks again mate 👌

Mainly land based, occasional Kayak and eventually a Seadoo Fish pro 🤤

I'll hit you up when I get a chance to wet a line. 

As for fish spots around Woonoona, you've got a fair few to play with. Bellambi boat ramp and the stones there provide you with a variety of species. The squidding is pretty good also. The ledges at coalcliff (northern end of seacliff bridge) gets you into pelagics, pigs and snappers. Headlands point is also a great playground. Most beaches hold Salmon and Tailor as well as the bread and butter and if you want somewhere safe and kid friendly you've got the lagoon for undersized flathead 😉 Wollongong harbour for yellowtail, squid and pelagics off the breakwall.

Further south of Wollongong there are more playgrounds to wet a line, heck the whole of the illawarra region can offer you fresh and seawater species of all types besides trouts i think, have never caught one in the Illawarra 🤔 

Edited by Lungfai76
Spelling

On 8/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, Gongfisha said:

Hi all, 

New to this site, just wondering is anybody on here from the Wollongong area? I'm just after some local knowledge and if anybody is keen to show me some tips or show me around would be awesome. We have just moved here and haven't done a lot of saltwater fishing as we've come from the country so only really know trolling for trout and spin fishing in rivers. 

Looking at buying a boat soon as well so same dilemma, don't know much at all about ocean fishing from a boat so if there are any guides on here that would be much appreciated when I get the boat.

Will pay for your services and help.

Thanks guys and gal's, hopefully catching something with you soon.

Hi Mate; welcome to the Illawarra, beautiful part of the world hey!.... I'm in Woonona as well, moved here 2-3yrs ago from Sydney's northern beaches (still work in Sydney though).

I cant help you too much with local fishing knowledge as i'm still sussing the place out, I mostly fish SP's and had varied success land based in the area, still trying to crack the code! Happy to catch up for a fish when the weather warms up...

Cheers, Alex.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:39 AM, PlayerOne said:

Hi Mate; welcome to the Illawarra, beautiful part of the world hey!.... I'm in Woonona as well, moved here 2-3yrs ago from Sydney's northern beaches (still work in Sydney though).

I cant help you too much with local fishing knowledge as i'm still sussing the place out, I mostly fish SP's and had varied success land based in the area, still trying to crack the code! Happy to catch up for a fish when the weather warms up...

Cheers, Alex.

Thanks mate, yeah sure is beautiful down here. I've moved the family down for work and they love it as well luckily. 

Thats ok, its hard, especially not knowing anybody yet to show you around and where's the best places to go and what to use. 

Sounds good! Be more than happy to meet up for a throw. I'm getting a boat in the next week or two as well so if you know any good reefs or where the fads are we could check them out as well. If not just try our luck somewhere lol.

Cheers mate, Mitch

On 8/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, kingie chaser said:

Welcome aboard, if you havent yet had a look around the site there might be some info to be had through the search tab-

https://www.fishraider.com.au/search/?q=woolongong&quick=1

Also work putting in the work Kembla into the search bar as well-

https://www.fishraider.com.au/search/?q=Kembla&quick=1

Good luck

Thanks mate 👍🏻

On 8/30/2020 at 5:27 PM, Gongfisha said:

Thanks mate, yeah sure is beautiful down here. I've moved the family down for work and they love it as well luckily. 

Thats ok, its hard, especially not knowing anybody yet to show you around and where's the best places to go and what to use. 

Sounds good! Be more than happy to meet up for a throw. I'm getting a boat in the next week or two as well so if you know any good reefs or where the fads are we could check them out as well. If not just try our luck somewhere lol.

Cheers mate, Mitch

Sounds like a plan mate. 

I've been out of Port Kembla (in my bro inlaw's boat) few times, not to the FAD yet tho (i think they remove them for winter time?)... I seen a fair few reports of decent snapper being caught off Bellambi in the past few weeks.

Also, I've got a tinny which could take out in lake illawarra when it gets warmer to chase flathead on SP's if your interested...

6 hours ago, PlayerOne said:

Sounds like a plan mate. 

I've been out of Port Kembla (in my bro inlaw's boat) few times, not to the FAD yet tho (i think they remove them for winter time?)... I seen a fair few reports of decent snapper being caught off Bellambi in the past few weeks.

Also, I've got a tinny which could take out in lake illawarra when it gets warmer to chase flathead on SP's if your interested...

Definitely sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it! Snapper, flatties, I dont mind one bit mate just sick of catching nothing and losing gear on the rocks

• 1 month later...

I used to live in Woonona but now live in Balgownie just down the rd. 

If you can go to the rocks in front of the boat shed at Sandon point there are dozens of good spots. I have caught Salmon, pigs, luderick and bream. 

I have gotten into beach worming recently at my local beach and after much swearing have mastered the art ( to an extent). These give you options on all beaches where you can spot the gutter and last year we absolutely hammered the whiting

• Like 1

Welcome to raider.

Port Kembla and Bellambi provide great fishing by boat. When you get your boat feel free to reach out and i can share some marks with you.

Land based there is some good fishing to be had at Hill 60 and Bass point. Windang is also another great spot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 8:33 PM, GoingFishing said:

Welcome to raider.

Port Kembla and Bellambi provide great fishing by boat. When you get your boat feel free to reach out and i can share some marks with you.

Land based there is some good fishing to be had at Hill 60 and Bass point. Windang is also another great spot

Thank you mate, sorry for the late reply, I havent been on here for a little while.

I have my boat so ready to get out there amongst it! And thanks for being willing to share some of your marks.

Thanks again for the info mate, might see you out there.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:32 PM, elferoz777 said:

I used to live in Woonona but now live in Balgownie just down the rd. 

If you can go to the rocks in front of the boat shed at Sandon point there are dozens of good spots. I have caught Salmon, pigs, luderick and bream. 

I have gotten into beach worming recently at my local beach and after much swearing have mastered the art ( to an extent). These give you options on all beaches where you can spot the gutter and last year we absolutely hammered the whiting

Thanks mate I'll give there a go. Hit me up next time you're going there and I'll come for a cast 👍🏻