Off the donut! Flatty saves the day 22/08/20

JamoDamo

G'day Raiders!

Today I got off my longstanding donut of around three months (I know....), I recently bought my own little stockpile of soft plastic lures and all that I need to fish with sp, anyways I started fishing at around 10:20am off one of my local spots 5 minutes from me on the beautiful Georges River, I switched the Bloodworm wriggler 100mm over to a black and gold 70mm squidgy fish for nothing too. I then moved off from that spot to another one close by for again nothing. I then moved to another spot where I finally had some action, I fished off a little rock wall with shrubs surrounding it with yet another lure change to a silver fox 70mm squidgy fish and came up on top with a really nice little eating size Dusky Flathead at 40cm. It was a great fight with lots of headshakes and two nice runs but eventually I was able to take control of him and I preceeded to skull drag it to where I wanted to land it

As you can see in the photo he scoffed the lure:

IMG_1513.JPGIMG_1512.JPG.d209f2d52a115accc3b1b6da8c2eb124.JPG

I swiftly unhooked him and then dispatched him by snapping his neck so he was out immediately, When I got home I filleted, skinned and deboned him and then he turned into todays lunch of flathead fish bites and chips: 

IMG_1515.JPG

All in all a nice little session on the Georges such a good feeling to finally be off the dreaded donut I honestly forgot what catching a fish felt like so good to see some fish bouncing back now that we are at the end of winter. 

Thanks all for reading hope you all have a great rest of your weekend!

Cheers, JamoDamo

Edited by JamoDamo
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Nice work James. The move certainly paid off.

Thanks Ryder appreciate the kind words.

6 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Bet you that donut-ender tasted GREAT !

Awesome effort to catch, clean and eat.

Cheers Z

Sure did I was stoked when I got it in!

Not a biggun, however, still a nice fish for this time of year, and a good eating size. Home made fish and chips will beat the fish shop purchase, fresh fish and you caught it, not bought it!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Not a biggun, however, still a nice fish for this time of year, and a good eating size. Home made fish and chips will beat the fish shop purchase, fresh fish and you caught it, not bought it!

Thanks Yowie! Yeah he was a nice fish good fight in him first fish I've gotten in months.

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nice report young fella

Keep doing that and you will be upgrading with each outing

Thanks Donna! I am buying a few more bits and pieces tomorrow so that should sort me out for a long time to come!

21 minutes ago, JAKSShark said:

Well done mate you never know with flatties aye...somedays they r there and other days just disapear but if you stick to it itll pay off, good eating size fish👏👏

Yeah some days they are on fire some days they are not, the other report I made was at one of the spots I went to and we got 5 legals and 2 undersized ones along with two more legals I caught on the day

Just shows they can be so good on one day and nothing the next.

Well done Damo, it will be interesting as time goes on for you what conclusions you come to on what SP style & colours work best for you.

You did exactly the right thing though, if one is not working then change it & I tend to think what will work in one location may not work as effectively in another.

Lots of variations like structure/bottom, water colour, prey type etc

But what I have found where I fish is that red/green combination of neuclear chicken catches me 3 to 1 of any other colour. 

• Thanks 1

Well done young fella.

One thing to keep in mind when fishing plastics in winter is to fish them slow.....painfully slow, as fish, particularly flathead are lethargic in the colder water.

Curly tailed grubs like the 2.5 inch zmans are a good winter option and load them up with scent if you have some.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done that,s a fine flathead would have been good eating

Sure was tasted so good!

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and great photos.

Thanks Rebel!

46 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Well done young fella.

One thing to keep in mind when fishing plastics in winter is to fish them slow.....painfully slow, as fish, particularly flathead are lethargic in the colder water.

Curly tailed grubs like the 2.5 inch zmans are a good winter option and load them up with scent if you have some.

Thanks Green Hornet! Yeah I just did quick hops across the bottom with 8 second pauses. I have some 2.5 inch zman grubz in midnight oil so I might give them a go I don't have any scent but I'll buy some just in case its needed. 

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

If you are going to buy scent, sax is the one to buy. They have various scents. I use bloodworm. you can buy it on line from the guy who makes it.saxcent,com

Cheers.

I might buy scent if they become finicky but I think I should be ok

2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Great report. Glad I'm not the only one with a few donut's. Currently I'm blaming the Winter season, not sure what I'll do when Spring comes around

Same here. Haven’t caught much during winter. Patiently waiting for spring 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Well done Jamo and they taste better than Blackies

Thanks waza! In my experience I liked the blackies better but they are both great!

11 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Great report. Glad I'm not the only one with a few donut's. Currently I'm blaming the Winter season, not sure what I'll do when Spring comes around

Thanks mate! I didn't think i'd be getting this much attention on one report but happy I have! Yeah I am waiting for summer this winter has been painfully long and so bad for fishing but oh well

1 hour ago, Yon said:

Great report. Your persistence obviously paid off! 
Such a good eating fish too. 

Yeah it sure did I was determined to get something! Yeah ugly but tasty, I love the fact they will eat most lures that you throw at them makes it less challenging for a beginner/novice lure fisherman but I guess I know enough to get by!

I know exactly how you feel JD. It's been far too long since I landed a fish. Can't ACTUALLY remember when...not unusual for this old fart (remembering things).

Anyway mate it's good that you persisted and earned your reward. Got to eat it too (BONUS).

Keep at it chucking those soft plastics around, the next fish isn't far away. Cheers, bn