The Very Last Rock Comp

wazatherfisherman

10 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Jim well done! There was always something exciting about winning anything in a Syd Metro comp. Did you have to sit on the stairs at the Fisho's club while awaiting results? I did! Often wondered how far up the river they go these days

from memory the blackfish were spawning, sort of remember August westerlies was the time I think...so that would be about this time of year now...wonder how some bloodworms would go in the river now.....is there such a thing as Botany Bay wrigglers around these days? Anyone know??

Jim

also remember as a juniour we would go on bait gathering duties for the seniors-cunje,worms,yakkas etc depending on comp on hand.

I was a Mascot Anglers member. My favourite comp. was a club challenge which was held around Jervis Bay. We would stay at Currarong Caravan Park and usually fished Beecroft Head or The Tubes....saw many decent sized kingies and tuna and a couple of marlin and some big sharks landed at The Tubes too.

Jim

1 hour ago, jot said:

from memory the blackfish were spawning, sort of remember August westerlies was the time I think...so that would be about this time of year now...wonder how some bloodworms would go in the river now.....is there such a thing as Botany Bay wrigglers around these days? Anyone know??

Jim

Hi Jim from memory there was someone selling Botany wrigglers only a couple of years ago- I believe it was a tackle shop over the south side of Tom Ugly's Bridge. Don't even know if there's still a tackle shop there now.

When I was in my teens we used to pump worms really similar around Five Dock and Abbotsford until the "Defacing the Foreshore" laws prevented that.

One school holidays when I was a kid we were catching and flogging live Yakka's at Rose Bay ramp for 5 cents each, doesn't sound much these days, but add a few of those big return Coke bottles at 5 cents and it was "big money" as a kid!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Jim from memory there was someone selling Botany wrigglers only a couple of years ago- I believe it was a tackle shop over the south side of Tom Ugly's Bridge. 

One school holidays when I was a kid we were catching and flogging live Yakka's at Rose Bay ramp for 5 cents each, doesn't sound much these days, but add a few of those big return Coke bottles at 5 cents and it was "big money" as a kid!

The bait shop on the north side of Tom Uglys - Mac's Bait Bar - sold me some worms a few months ago. The were dug in Lake Macquarie.

Being older than you, I sold a few dead yakkas for sixpence each, 2 for sixpence if they were small. The old fisho I sold them to took me to one of his spots, 50 or so years ago, and I still catch fish there today.

• Like 2

Waza - was there a similar competition for clubs on the northside of the city?  I was never a member of a club but we had the Warringah Anglers over our way and there was also the Manly Fisho's club whose building sounds like the Brighton fishos.  I would also guess Manly Leagues Club and maybe Harbord Diggers had fishing groups.

You mentioned that you made the representative team - who did they compete against?  Did you do any good?

56 minutes ago, Dee Why Jim said:

Waza - was there a similar competition for clubs on the northside of the city?  I was never a member of a club but we had the Warringah Anglers over our way and there was also the Manly Fisho's club whose building sounds like the Brighton fishos.  I would also guess Manly Leagues Club and maybe Harbord Diggers had fishing groups.

You mentioned that you made the representative team - who did they compete against?  Did you do any good?

Hi Jim Sydney Northern Division had all those clubs you mention plus the "Sea-bees", Ryde Anglers, Barrenjoey Sportsfishers and quite a few more. From memory, their boundaries were Barrenjoey to Hornby Light, but it might have been further south in their comps, not sure. I broke my foot three weeks before the rep weekend and couldn't go. It's called the Harry Pontey memorial titles and is a rep teams event, don't know if it's still held.

Sydney Metro were runners up in the event, which was held at Port Macquarie. Winning "pockets" like Yowie's pictured were black for divisional and blue for state.

Pretty sure all the NSW divisions ran to the same format which included local divisional and also the cumulative State titles, which were hosted by clubs in each division on an area rotational basis- eg Sydney Metro, Sydney North, South Coast, Central Coast, North Coast etc.