Whats the strangest bait you have ever tried & it worked?

kingie chaser

Very cool indeed. Time to raid the young blokes lego. Sure a lot of people have tried some offbeat tactics. Cheese, Bacon rind, hot chips and a jelly baby have all caught for me. Hit the canals on the gold coast one night with BBQ chicken skin and scraps on light jigheads the bream went beserk. 

• Like 1

Not as bait, but I once used garlic chicken scraps as burley (night time). When the bream were lifted out of the water, I could smell them a little bit, then when gutted, it was strong garlic smells for miles around. I could taste a faint garlic odour in the bream when eating them. Every bream was stinky garlic when gutted.

Slices of bacon used a couple of times, but the eels turned up before anything else.

• Like 1

Well forget about the bait or the lego, got one better. 

I can actually still remember when I was a kid fishing inside the breakwall near the back of the co-op at Nelson bay catching slimies with no bait, just a hook.

They was a massive school were in there in a frenzy taking anything shiny.

End up catching 75 in about 30/40 minutes, great fun, I dont think I even kept any as being a kid of about 10 years old it was just fun catching fish with just a hook :thumbup:

That was back in the day when the wall was shorter, used to get dolphins & other creatures in there back then to.

I recall @Scratchie saying he had a similar experience when the Kingie cages broke up at Broughton & the kings were just taking the shiny hooks with no bait :biggrinthumb:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

And speaking of Murray Cod, they have to be the least discerning with their food preferences. Cheese, garlic marinated chicken, cooked drumsticks, salami, spam, bread, eggs, potatoes. That list is probably incomplete. bn