Drift of Shame 29-08-20  

Brendan Monks

After enjoying a few too many cold ones celebrating the Roosters win over the Broncos on Friday night, the plans of fishing early with a mate around the rocky washes for a morning snapper bite disappeared quickly. The plan changed to launch around 8:00 o’clockish and fish the deeper reefs north off Broken Bay (Anticipating that the snapper move out further when the sun comes up).

8:30am came and went and I still hadn’t heard from my mate who I had tried to call a few times after launching, I made the call to still have a crack by myself although he was meant to be bringing more gear and food etc. The run through Brisbane Waters was glassy and easy going, although I got to Half Tide rocks and I noticed the swell was up, I pushed up north out of the bay and tried to fish one of the breaking reefs with plastics. I gave up after 10 minutes as it was just too hard fishing solo to get the drift right whilst watching swell/manoeuvring the boat/and trying to fish. 🤬

I would say it has been at least 4 or 5 years since I last tried, and inspired by @zmk1962 posts, decided to give it a crack drifting for flatties. Not having a clue what to do, I pushed out a bit wider and stopped in 40-45m, the swell and wind was slowly dropping so a lot easier to fish. I deployed the sea anchor which hadn’t been used since I bought it, and soon had a seal pop up next to the boat and disappear after a bit, realising he wasn’t going to get a free feed. 😆

277127233_WestHeadHRB.thumb.jpg.c05f6cd1f6383815a7e114491363ad75.jpg

Fishing with a simple paternoster rig I soon had a small flattie of approx. 20cms on board, fearing the worst and thinking that this drift would only produce fish all this size I hoped there would be a bit more action as I had to be back at the ramp by 3:00pm. Not much happened for the next 30 minutes apart from the conditions dropping to glass until I got 3 decent ones in quick succession (The biggest going 52cms). Job done!

1306432822_BrokenBayflathead.thumb.jpg.ffb5a62ee5c4e06827ffb0d3dfb6fae1.jpg

I managed to be back in with the boat packed away and flushed by 4:00pm for a drive up to Stockton to meet the rest of the family and brother in law for dinner on the beach, whilst chicken wraps where on the menu, I decided to take the flathead and my new BBQ plate to cook them up over a campfire in the designated camping areas. We decided to keep one whole and fillet the other 2. My brother in law couldn’t believe how good they tasted, only seasoned with lemon,S & P and that they had literally only been caught a few hours before (He lives inland and never gets the chance to catch/eat fresh fish). 🤤

2052708863_StocktonBeachcampfire.thumb.jpg.7123cf6161bc6eb48c52b4d3395a7daa.jpg

We got back home after midnight and I got the boat ready again for a fish Sunday.

987251426_StocktonBeachfire.thumb.jpg.8e893d0dc824d5decba8f4c2c48a1831.jpg

Yeeewww livin Barry! 🍻🤙

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

At least it wasnt donuts for dinner :thumbup:

Im sure the family & your B.I.L appreciated them :biggrinthumb:

Cheers guys! Anything is better then the taste of a doughnut. 😝

Haha He did, so much that I had to go out Sunday to catch more for them! 🙄 

16 hours ago, Brendan Monks said:

It wasn't exactly mate, I mainly game fish and this is what we call it - I have nothing against it though! 🤙

Well you did well @Brendan Monks the meal looked fabbo

We had a high profile game fisho on here once join one of our socials and admit he had never caught a Flattie 😀 

Mark of a skilled angler - he/she can catch any species🎣

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, dlvbw said:

Perfect eating size mate and a top spot for dinner! 

On 9/2/2020 at 8:33 AM, Mr Squidy said:

Looks like a cracking day all up mate, nothing better than fresh fish cooked on an open fire 👍

Rich

Yeah Cheers fellas, no better way to finish the day! 🤙🍻

On 9/2/2020 at 7:36 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well you did well @Brendan Monks the meal looked fabbo

We had a high profile game fisho on here once join one of our socials and admit he had never caught a Flattie 😀 

Mark of a skilled angler - he/she can catch any species🎣

haha yeah Donna, I don't chase them much but good fun! Hmmm the Hairtail still eludes me...😣😑