braid for surf casting

Mr_clownface

Hi there,

I have a 9'6ft savage gear rod and a fin nor lethal 40 i use for casting metal lures of the beach(i am new to lure fishing)

i want to buy some quality braided line for it and was wondering about the amount of line it says on the spool.

example 8lb/270yds....12lbs/200yds...

does this refer to mono or braid or both?

i want to buy 20lb of good quality braid

i suspect i need to buy 300yds of braid because you can cast a fair distance surf casting and 150yds just may not be enough

any brand recomendations is welcome also

yes i am new to braided line.

thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, savit said:

Fin noir lethal 40 reel has 270yards/ 30lb braid capacity from their website. If you want to save -  get 150yards of suggested 20lb braid and fill the rest of the spool with mono backing line.

thanks for your advice Savit,thats a good idea

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I love fishing braid but I'm not a fan off the beach.

Braid tends to get wind knots & overlaps.

Each to their own.

Also the stretch in mono comes in handy when bringing a fish in through the surf.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, kingie chaser said:

I love fishing braid but I'm not a fan off the beach.

Braid tends to get wind knots & overlaps.

Each to their own.

Today I learned exactly what you mean,spooled new jbraid and a handful of casts and wind knots,twice I had to remove and cut some line fortunatly not alot.

Casting a halco 30g twisty with 9"6ft savage gear rods.

I suspect the line is coming of the spool faster than the guides on the rod so bunches together to create knots .

Is there anyway to avoid this?

If I cast with a rod with bigger diameter guides would this help.

Any assistance is appreciated 👍

9 hours ago, Mr_clownface said:

Today I learned exactly what you mean,spooled new jbraid and a handful of casts and wind knots,twice I had to remove and cut some line fortunatly not alot.

I suspect the line is coming of the spool faster than the guides on the rod so bunches together to create knots .

There is another thread on here discussing the problem I will try & find for you.

Meantime it helps if the spool is full but not over filled, if I'm putting a new 150yrd roll on a reel that holds more I fill it with backing of the same breaking strain of mono.

Also make sure when filling the spool the line is even along the face & not say more at the bottom than the top & with good tension.

But I really like it when reels come with a spare spool in the box so I can just change it over to the mono spool for the beach.

With newer rods coming onto the market some makers are now using guides that slope foreward that help reduce wind knots with barid.

Fuji K guides is an example of this.

Edited by kingie chaser

10 hours ago, Mr_clownface said:

It would help if you told us what PE# or breaking strain your braid is. How long your leader is and what style of knot you're using to join it to your braid is important as well.

If you go too thin with your braid you will have problems just like you describe. Same if you use a longish leader and a bulky knot such as a double uni. Also don't overfill your spool. Ensure your braid is around 2mm below the spool lip, or if using a Shimano style spool, to the point just where the bevel starts.

My main beach spinning outfits sound similar to yours and for the record I use PE1.5 Duel Hardcore, 8 strand braid. A leader long enough so the knot is somewhere between the reel and the stripper guide when casting, joined to the braid with an FG knot and never have any issues with wind knots.

Keep in mind line management is important too. Make sure you don't develop loose loops of braid on your spool. To prevent this I'm in the habit of closing my bail arm manually after every cast and pull 30cm of braid off the reel against the drag before commencing my retrieve. Do this often enough and you soon get to the stage that you don't even realise you're doing it.

Edited by Green Hornet