Squidgy durability

JamoDamo

Hey raiders, 

I've bought a good little stockpile of my own sp to use anytime I want to go out. I have practiced rigging and found out how poor squidgy durability quality is! Rigging them on the hook even rips them up and it just doesn't seem cost effective. Buying a few more zman before I completely stop my shopping spree ahahaha. What is everyone elses thoughts on them? I personally really like them but they just rip so easy.

Squidgies work very well but are not durable as you have found. Zmans completely overshadow them on the durability scale AND are just as good in catching fish. 1 packet of Zmans equals 4 packets of Squidgies in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have found the Gulps are more durable than pretty much all of them but you have to keep them in the alive liquid which annoys me as once opened the packets leak & stink up your tackle bag.

The solution for me was to buy an air tight Tactix container from bunnings & the ones I open I put into the container.

I actually bought some larger ones as well to put the packets into as well as sometimes even unopened pack leaks!

Tactix Small Water Resistant Case

Also dont leave them on your rod after fishing, they go hard as a rock & very hard to get off your jighead. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

I’m sure it’s happened to everyone. One of the reasons why I don’t like gulps.

Sure, I start to change over as well for that reason but I do find that I catch more fish on gulps.

Could be ther reasons but apart from the liquid thing, gulps work & imo more effectivley than others.

Maybe I just need more time with the Z's, been using squidgeys for about the same time though as the gulps & strike rate % has to go to the gulps.

32 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Sure, I start to change over as well for that reason but I do find that I catch more fish on gulps.

Could be ther reasons but apart from the liquid thing, gulps work & imo more effectivley than others.

Maybe I just need more time with the Z's, been using squidgeys for about the same time though as the gulps & strike rate % has to go to the gulps.

Oh yeh gulps are good. Whenever I was having a slow session with other plastics I would put on a gulp camo wriggler (don’t know If that’s what they’re called) and I would start getting hits. However all my gulp lures for some reason have gotten black and white mould all over them, as well as their colour turning brown. I have no idea how this happened but it did. 

I have used them all. Zman's are the go. When I arrive home I clean them in luke warm water and use a tooth brush to clean off the scent.

Wipe them with a paper towel and leave them to dry out over night.They are ready for next time.I keep them in plastic containers.

Never mix brands. Total disaster. With the Gulp I use Gulp Alive and then put them in two esy slide storage bags which are leak proof.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I did not mention Gulp in my answer as the question was with "Squidgies" or shall we say, "real plastics".  I have a love/hate relationship with Gulp and I have successfully weaned myself away from Gulp over 2 or 3yrs ago, except for one scenario which I will get to at the end of this post.

IMO there's no way Gulp is as durable than "real plastics" even Squidgies.  The reason I have a love/hate relationship with Gulp is that I love the way they work and catch fish.  No argument.  However, I hate using them because they represent everything I didn't like about bait fishing - mess, smell & pickers eating them.  If you fish anywhere with pickers like little chopper tailor, leatherjackets and worse of all, toadies; you will be constantly replacing the Gulp as they will be eaten and chewed up.  Zmans can tolerate a HECK of a lot more attacks from the pickers.  It is not uncommon to go through a packet or more of Gulps in a session.  Zmans, in my personal experience, I lose maybe max. 5% to pickers and most of the time I only lose my Zman when I get snagged & lose my jighead or I get bitten off above the jighead or a big bream busts me off!

Gulp Sandworms - whiting love them.  Possibly as much as they like real worms.  If I'm fishing some flats, I like having a packet of Sandworms around especially if they're not biting on topwater lures.

• Like 4

A little off topic, but for those who like the effectiveness of Gulp but don't like the mess. Gulp Gel rub on scent has recently been released in Australia and could be worth a try.

For the record I'm a big fan of the Zman range for their durability and tail action with minimal movement. I rarely fish them without adding some type of scent. Still a big fan of Megastrike Crawfish for estuary species.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

A little off topic, but for those who like the effectiveness of Gulp but don't like the mess. Gulp Gel rub on scent has recently been released in Australia and could be worth a try.

Hi GH, I see this gel purely only as a scent like the S factor, you still need to keep the Gulps in the alive liquid 24/7

@JamoDamo, the reality is plastics are a disposable & consumable like any bait which at best you get 1 session out of the best of them(unless you dont catch a fish of course), thats it.

If you want something that you dont keep having to buy then I'd be looking at other alternatives to SP's like sinking soft vibes or sinking stick baits!

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Hi GH, I see this gel purely only as a scent like the S factor, you still need to keep the Gulps in the alive liquid 24/7

My mistake. 

In clarifying, I meant you could use the Gulp gel on a different brand of plastic that didn't require being kept in a liquid.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone!

Just in case you guys didn't know squidgy have now brought out a new range! The squidgy duratechs, they pretty much have the same sort of elaztechy sort of material similar to zman and the "new" daiwa baitjunkie range. They still produce all the classic squidgy profiles such as the fish, the prawn and the wriggler replacing the pro ranges of said models. Looks like they could be the next big contender in the plastics markets and bring squidgy back to its former glory.

I've tried them before when my mate bought a pack of the 65mm prawn wriggler in "cloud 9" (my favourite pro range colour) and wow! They work super well! He got a stonkin' 50cm plus flatty on em. They come in pretty much the same packet as the usual bio tough plastics and aren't too hard to rig on the jighead easily and they have a great action, looks like they'll be an absolute killer on EP, Bream, Flathead and all other sorts of estuary species. When I get some coin I may have to pick up a few packs for myself to give them a bash with some light lines and some light jigheads.

Cheers guys, 

James

Edited by JamoDamo
  • Like 1

Z man is a lot more durible than squidgies and berkly gulp. There is also a australian brand made in france or somehting thats quite durable. 

Apparently more durable lures have a slightly worse action than less durable ones. I found savage gear soft plastics are reasonable, I reuse them quite a few times, never actually chucked one. squidiges  are just a hole in your wallet IMO 

On 9/5/2020 at 6:35 AM, kingie chaser said:

I have found the Gulps are more durable than pretty much all of them but you have to keep them in the alive liquid which annoys me as once opened the packets leak & stink up your tackle bag.

The solution for me was to buy an air tight Tactix container from bunnings & the ones I open I put into the container.

I actually bought some larger ones as well to put the packets into as well as sometimes even unopened pack leaks!

Tactix Small Water Resistant Case

Also dont leave them on your rod after fishing, they go hard as a rock & very hard to get off your jighead. 

You can use a one of thoes grew ones for wolwoths to.

Used a Dremel with that cutter disk thing to get the jig head out LOL

4 hours ago, slothparade said:

Z man is a lot more durible than squidgies and berkly gulp. There is also a australian brand made in france or somehting thats quite durable. 

Apparently more durable lures have a slightly worse action than less durable ones. I found savage gear soft plastics are reasonable, I reuse them quite a few times, never actually chucked one. squidiges  are just a hole in your wallet IMO 

The new range have the same material as bio tough so pretty much as similar to zman as you can get. I suppose you've gotta use them to see if they work or not! I'm sure they will

3 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

The new range have the same material as bio tough so pretty much as similar to zman as you can get. I suppose you've gotta use them to see if they work or not! I'm sure they will

The new one that came out like yesterday? I only just saw the a shop ADD

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Gulps are so successful at catching fish, I keep the 1/2 eaten ones for catching the Yakkas for live bait.

Gulps ARE bait Bob !!! , they certainly catch but are a heck of a pain to store

• Like 1