What boat to upgrade to?

OZrevhead

Guys, as a kid I grew up near the Georges River so my mates had tinnies and I had a tinnie, but that was a long time ago. Recently I bought a tinnie to get my grown family out on the water (4.4m, level floor, 40HP Merc), we had alot of fun but I found some things I didn't like (it was very heavy for a tiller boat, nothing like my previous tinnies, it wasnt very fast and I hated pull start and manual tilt) so we decided to sell and buy a front steer boat. So, I thought I would open this up for advice on what boat to look for. My main criteria are as follows:

1. Large enough to fit 4 adults comfortably - I really want a boat with a good back seat, I don't want back to back seats, I don't want 2 moulded seats, I want a decent actual seat

2. I want it to go decently - no 25hp runabout please, I would prefer a 4 stroke with EFI but I will keep my options open

3. Maneuverability - the boat has to be hand pushed onto the front lawn

4. Usage - mostly river cruising, fishing (river, Botany Bay, maybe some close offshore depending on what we buy)

5. Budget - The lower the better, the cheaper it is the sooner it will happen. Other than being sea worthy I feel that a good motor is the most important thing, so even a repowered older hull would be fine by me

I understand that the above might not all work together, the hardest one is getting the boat onto the lawn, I considered getting a motorised trailer mover but they are very dear so stuff that.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions so fire away. If you could include a pic of your suggestion that would be awesome.

For example, I don't mind one of these:

440-coast-runner.JPG.9a4d274486b911c9cfee4f5726fb98ba.JPG

This example has a 40 4 stroke and they are asking $16490, too heavy for a few adults to push?

Also, no thread crapping please.

Cheers

Edited by OZrevhead

10 minutes ago, OZrevhead said:

Guys, as a kid I grew up near the Georges River so my mates had tinnies and I had a tinnie, but that was a long time ago. Recently I bought a tinnie to get my grown family out on the water (4.4m, level floor, 40HP Merc), we had alot of fun but I found some things I didn't like (it was very heavy for a tiller boat, nothing like my previous tinnies, it wasnt very fast and I hated pull start and manual tilt) so we decided to sell and buy a front steer boat. So, I thought I would open this up for advice on what boat to look for. My main criteria are as follows:

1. Large enough to fit 4 adults comfortably - I really want a boat with a good back seat, I don't want back to back seats, I don't want 2 moulded seats, I want a decent actual seat

2. I want it to go decently - no 25hp runabout please, I would prefer a 4 stroke with EFI but I will keep my options open

3. Maneuverability - the boat has to be hand pushed onto the front lawn

4. Usage - mostly river cruising, fishing (river, Botany Bay, maybe some close offshore depending on what we buy)

5. Budget - The lower the better, the cheaper it is the sooner it will happen. Other than being sea worthy I feel that a good motor is the most important thing, so even a repowered older hull would be fine by me

I understand that the above might not all work together, the hardest one is getting the boat onto the lawn, I considered getting a motorised trailer mover but they are very dear so stuff that.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions so fire away. If you could include a pic of your suggestion that would be awesome.

For example, I don't mind one of these:

440-coast-runner.JPG.9a4d274486b911c9cfee4f5726fb98ba.JPG

This example has a 40 4 stroke and they are asking $16490, too heavy for a few adults to push?

Also, no thread crapping please.

Cheers

Mate I had the same boat next size up which I think was the 5.1 Coast runner with a 115 Yamaha Four stroke good size will do everything you are looking for.

That would be my choice.

the skipper

I have a 5.6m quinnie with a 90hp honda on my front lawn.  No way it could be pushed on lawn.  I use car to reverse over gutter using home made ramps and back it into position.  To use boat I reverse tow ball under trailer to hook up.  Reversing camera great for this as I can get in perfect position to lower trailer onto ball.  Can do this by myself as no need to push boat.  Ron 

I use one of these on a 14 ' old brooker tinnie that weigh's much more than it should owing to all the stuff I have built into it.

1083214781_jockeywheel.thumb.jpg.ef6983b77862f19590cab5d3610c1fba.jpg

It does a good job but can bog down on wet grass or large bumps. You need at least a 20 amp hour battery and they are less than $ 500 to buy.

Don't know where you live but if you wanted to come to my place at Berala you could test it out to see if something similar would suit you.

They are pretty slow, slow walking pace but they save a lot of effort.

Frank

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OZrevhead said:

Thanks guys, I have a small yard with access at 90 degrees to the single driveway, no way I can reverse a trailer onto there (that is my biggest issue).

Ok

I have had this situation as well, I just reversed the boat as close to the 90deg bend as possible, chocked the rear wheels, Disconnect of the tow bar.

Then used my muscle to push it across the grass, it was a 4.2mtr tinny but rolled easy, I have also pushed my 5.4mtr across grass, not so easy.

You will with practice be surprised how far in you will get it with the car, if you have swing room.

Alternate to pushing is

use a electric jockey wheel (As frank has shown above)

Mount a winch to a post and use a electric winch to pull the boat back into place, Put a post at both ends and then use the electric winch to pull the boat out.

As for boat selection, the 440 like you posted is a great boat, but I would aim for a 480 or 500 to get extra room and allow for 5 people, so you can bring others, especially when the kids under 12 only count as 1/2 a person.

I believe a BMT combination of what you are looking for, is movable by an adult, but on a good surface and not grass. 

Perhaps you need to make the area where the boat is to go more movable friendly, for example concrete pad, large paving blocks etc. 

Doing this will alleviate the difficulty of manhandling the boat after reversing it to the best position by car and then pushing. 

Good luck with choice. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:38 PM, OZrevhead said:

Thanks guys, I have a small yard with access at 90 degrees to the single driveway, no way I can reverse a trailer onto there (that is my biggest issue).

I had a similar problem at my old place in Sydney, although double garage. Very steep driveway that flattened out at the top. I used to drive up into the garage, then unhooked the trailer and push the trailer around onto the dirt. I eventually had a concrete slab poured off to the side, which made it a lot easier. It became harder when I upgraded to the bigger boat and I fitted a ratchet jockey wheel and moved it that way. An electric jockey wheel would be better but the ratchet wheel was manageable.

19 minutes ago, shakey55 said:

Perhaps you need to make the area where the boat is to go more movable friendly, for example concrete pad, large paving blocks etc. 

Doing this will alleviate the difficulty of manhandling the boat after reversing it to the best position by car and then pushing. 

This was my thoughts as well.

Beats spending $500-1000 on an electric jockey wheel! 

In saying that just found a cheap electric thats pretty reasonable

https://www.mydeal.com.au/heavy-duty-electric-jockey-wheel-jack-12v-350w?gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQVD8bMIUvTM9_CJCmUBgeK3YM9GPCRzCA7ehy4M3NCI18OyvsQiZFhoCBUcQAvD_BwE

Edited by kingie chaser

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

4 adults in a boat that small is not going to be a comfortable fishing experience

Thats just an example, I am happy to go a bit bigger but it will just be harder to get on and off the lawn, the harder it is to move the boat the less it will get used.

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

This was my thoughts as well.

Beats spending $500-1000 on an electric jockey wheel! 

In saying that just found a cheap electric thats pretty reasonable

https://www.mydeal.com.au/heavy-duty-electric-jockey-wheel-jack-12v-350w?gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQVD8bMIUvTM9_CJCmUBgeK3YM9GPCRzCA7ehy4M3NCI18OyvsQiZFhoCBUcQAvD_BwE

Great ideas, thanks

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I had a similar problem at my old place in Sydney, although double garage. Very steep driveway that flattened out at the top. I used to drive up into the garage, then unhooked the trailer and push the trailer around onto the dirt. I eventually had a concrete slab poured off to the side, which made it a lot easier. It became harder when I upgraded to the bigger boat and I fitted a ratchet jockey wheel and moved it that way. An electric jockey wheel would be better but the ratchet wheel was manageable.

Also a great idea but we will lose half the lawn if we pave an area big enough for a boat.

Edited by OZrevhead

2 minutes ago, OZrevhead said:

Thats just an example, I am happy to go a bit bigger but it will just be harder to get on and off the lawn, the harder it is the less it will get used.

Great ideas, thanks

Also a great idea but we will lose half the lawn if we pave an area big enough for a boat.

Your obviously not Greek then 😜

I think your missing the point, not to pave a car width but more a track that a jockey wheel can follow which makes sense.

If it's a flat surface then your only dealing with half a battle.

Good idea but the main wheels dont roll well on soft grass either, the 4.4m was an effort to push and a bigger boat will just be worse.

Not greek but not far from it either ....

Edited the previous post for you too (to clarify).

😄

Edited by OZrevhead
  • Like 1

You may find like I did that you end up with an area of dead lawn under the boat anyway.  I am considering paving the dead area under the boat wide enough for wheels.

It will also make it easier to push if you get a large diameter pump up jockey wheel.  Ron 

On 9/11/2020 at 10:19 PM, Berleyguts said:

If you’re going to put the boat on the lawn there’s not much point in having lawn there, is there?

Actually the grass grows better under the boat ... :beersmile:

OK boys, good discussion about the lawn but this is a hull recommendation thread lol ... :pokey:

Any pointers on hulls?

:1fishing1:

14 hours ago, OZrevhead said:

I would like something like this:

image.png.5a440250bf9322dfccdca01de52dec68.png

Im not sure how well it will park on the lawn, I will need a motorizes jockey wheel (at least).

I like the semi pod transom and deep sides, what would something like this weigh?

Cheers

That boat would go very close to 800kg depending what was loaded in it and accessories, just an extra battery will add weight and it's not hard to get something like that up to around 1000kg's .

What suburb do you live in ?. I am pretty clued up when it comes to tricky situations. Maybe I could come and have a look at your situation ( bring my elect jockey wheel) and  have a look and maybe we could sort something out to suit your situation.

I have a double sharp dog leg at my place to get my boat in and out. as well as curves. The cheap electric does the job well.

Frank

• Like 3

Damn thats getting heavy, it might be ok with the electric jockey wheel idea, does it grip on grass?

My last boat felt very heavy too, what do you think that would have weighed? It was a 4.4m rear steer tinny but it was a big solid boat with welded in framework for the thick level floor and a 40HP merc, I read somewhere of a hull similar to mine being 380kg, would that be right?

@ frankS - thanks mate

@ Welster - thats a very god idea actually (towbar at the front)

😁