Knot breaking strenght tests & knot tying resource

kingie chaser

Hi fellow raiders, like most fisho's Im always looking at ways to improve my fishing & capture rate & fundimentally knot tying is no#1 on the list.

So I am always looking at different things on the net to do with real world testing & the way knots are improved over time & when I was looking at youtubes came across this guy doing tests between 2 good knots in the modified Uni & the Palomar.

Would 2lb breaking strenght make a difference between landing a fish or not???

Imo probably, any advantage is an advantage!

I know there are plenty of knot tying websites out there but this website is also a good resource with comparisons etc.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/?utm_source=Direct&utm_medium=Knot-CTA&utm_campaign=Knot-ranking&utm_content=Misc#monosnugknot

In the end we sometimes might opt not to use the strongest know in lieu of one that may be easier & quicker to tie under the circumstances(say out at sea on a rocking boat)but at least its good to have all the facts & the knowledge in your arsenal.

• Like 1

I have messed around a lot with testing knots, and the same knot, tied by the same person, in the same line can vary considerably, I personally prefer a simple to tie, pretty good knot (uni knot for me) over a knot that takes minutes to tie, and "might" provide a very slight increase in strength, that said, a sloppy granny knot is not an alternative.

30 minutes ago, noelm said:

I have messed around a lot with testing knots, and the same knot, tied by the same person, in the same line can vary considerably, I personally prefer a simple to tie, pretty good knot (uni knot for me) over a knot that takes minutes to tie, and "might" provide a very slight increase in strength, that said, a sloppy granny knot is not an alternative.

Yes its one of those things where consistancy is key & making sure in the forming of the knot the turns dont overlap each other.

As much as possible I try to tie the majority of my rigs in the comfort of my lounge room, taking the time to get them right. 

• 6 months later...