Broken Bay Inshore 30-08-20

Brendan Monks

Late report I know, sorry! I seem to be getting out more than I can type (A good thing I guess). LOL

After getting home late Saturday night, my mate decided he wanted to get out for a fish Sunday seeing he missed out the day before, I stayed up re-rigging gear and loading the boat getting it ship shape, we made the call to launch at a gentleman’s hour as we were only going to be chasing flatties off Broken Bay, with the opportunity of a Jew later in the Hawkesbury if we had time.

Launching from Gosford ramp solo at 9:00am (Waited for my mate again) we had an uneventful run out through Brisbane Waters, the swell had somewhat dropped from the previous day although the wind was meant to hit around lunchtime. Pushing into a slight Nor’easter I made the call to try a new drift from the day before out the front of Box Head instead of running further north and getting soaked – Gotta love the #consolelyfe! 🤣

1139571575_TPDGosfordWharf.thumb.jpg.e9308d4c6b06ccb717633fe9841ee757.jpg

With all the rods rigged and ready to go, it was only a matter of deploying the sea anchor and baiting the hooks. As soon as we hit bottom, we both got small bites and a double of 15-20cm flatties. I wasn’t too concerned as this is what happened the previous day, with all fish going around the 50cm mark after the initial bite. Long story short, they all stayed the same size for a drift approx. 500m - 700m long so we made the call to head up slightly north into 40-50m where I got a few alright ones the day before. By now the wind was pumping down and any boat in sight was pushing in closer to land. It wasn’t long before we got our first bites, even getting double headers on the paternoster rigs we were using. The size was down from the day before but we weren't complaining!

1321654382_BrokenBayFlathead.thumb.jpg.7bd00f620493c6f5b7df1780c30d445a.jpg

With a few flatties quickly on board, we both made the call for last baits down as the conditions were getting very uncomfortable. Straight away I hooked what felt like a small flathead and was prepared to call it a day as soon as we landed it, halfway up through the water column it turned into something a lot bigger! I initially thought I had hooked a good bonito or some other pelagic species as it was pulling some good drag, 5 seconds in and a few long runs the line went slack. F*@#!. I thought I had just pulled hooks as I didn’t get the chance to set them in the first place, next second only a little flattie head popped up – I thought I had been sharked (First time) and quickly threw out half a mullet on some wire trace I had on board for no interest (Now thinking about it, it may have been a seal we saw in the same spot the day before). 🤔

622409872_FlatheadHead.thumb.jpg.116ff63edee3ffbaa63a13da35b3d935.jpg

We had a quick run in with the wind and stopped at the reef off the front of Palm Beach as it was like a lake compared to out wider, we managed a small flattie and snapper before watching the seals play in the wash off Barrenjoey Headland, a quick run around to Palm Beach wharf for a late lunch of fish and chips for the ride back into Brisbane Waters.

1525223494_SealsBarrenjoeyHeadland.thumb.jpg.a3d6a2a4359ac4c327dd5fbbdde8d78e.jpg

2018890245_PittwaterHRB.thumb.jpg.ab608a144985e7e5663f2f01749e9b79.jpg

I ended up cooking the flatties through the week in a beer batter, I don’t each much of the fish I catch myself, but these were amazing! I sure know what I’m doing tomorrow morning if I can’t tempt a Jew in the Hawkesbury tonight! 🤤

1848389719_BeerBatterFlathead.jpg.2002fb3fa19539d2064165d89079fcfd.jpg

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 13

On 9/16/2020 at 5:02 PM, Brendan Monks said:

guess you fish the bay quite a bit as well?

When I do get out I usually head north dependant on the wind & fish from about 20 to 70m & ride the N easterly back in

Edited by 61 crusher

4 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

When I do get out I usually head north dependant on the wind & fish from about 20 to 70m & ride the N easterly back in

Yeah, I try and do the exact same - Makes the ride a lot nicer in a centre console.lol...I've probably seen you out a few times now, although there seems to be a lot of Bar Crushers around these days 🤙