Landbased Fishing Locations

Azza_Fishing

Hey fishraiders,

Looking at having a quick fish tommorow. I am going to be targeting flatties, but not really sure of any good places. I am fishing landbased and use both lures and bait.

Looking to go somewhere around Sydney.

Any suggestions for lures to use and locations.

Cheers

Azza_Fishing 

Edited by Azza_Fishing
  • Like 1

With the cold water still hanging around, flathead will still be lethargic and respond better to smaller, slow fished plastics.

If it was me, I'd be throwing something like a 2.5 inch curly tail Z-man grubz on a 1/8-3/16 oz jighead. These lures are killers when fished slow with 30-60cm hops across the bottom and plenty of long 5-10 second pauses.

I can't help you with spots as I don't fish the Sydney area.

• Like 1

@FishyMcFishFace

It wasn't as good as expected because of the weather. Decided to have a change of plans and decided to go to Cabbage Tree basin. It is down south from Cronulla Beach. However to get there, you have to go to the Bonnie Vale campsite and walk through there for about 150m. You won't be able to drive through, so you will have to park your car outside the campground gate, in the carpark and walk through the campgrounds. You will reach some toilets and sign saying that you can fish in that area. Just walk through the path in the forest for about 200m and you will reach the bridge. Along both sides of the bridge its great for bream and tailor, as there are plenty there. However if you walk downstream (on the left hand side when you walk in), through the mangroves, you can fish along the flats for flathead, as I have seen quite a few there, but never caught any. However along the bridge, I myself, use zman grubz and slim swimz (Motor oil and watermelon red) as they are the best colours and bomb for the bream there. The largest bream I caught there was 38cm. Anyway give it a go, and if you have no luck, there is always the beach for flathead. The way to go, is from the bridge just walk upstream, to where the water flows in (thats if you are willing to get your feet and legs wet through wading). If you are going to use hardbodies I would recommend the Atomic Crankbait 38mm deep prawn coloured lure, as I have caught lots of bream on them. As for the flats, I don't really know how to fish those areas, so I don't know how will it go. But overall, you can catch some pretty good sized fish to take home for dinner. And if you are really keen, you can sometimes see some blue swimmer crabs, but I doubt you will be able to catch them without a net. I would recommend going there either two hours before or two hours after high tide, as thats you best chance to catch them. Don't know if that still applies with lures as the last time I went, I used bait, most of the time, then switched to the lures, when the bite was small. 

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Azza_Fishing

555473460_ScreenShot2020-09-17at1_59_22pm.thumb.png.e780a948fe52900fc00db0fbcc24ef0e.png

• Like 2