Kingie action in Sydney.

Owen Douglas

We started off on Friday night gathering only three squid. We slept on the boat at a public mooring and got up at 3:45. We headed towards our squiding grounds and got 25 squid in a few drifts. We then headed towards some of our kingie spots and at the first spot we marked a schoolof big kings. I got first drop and chucked down a live squid. After trolling it for about 30 seconds it got taken. On 6.5kg of drag and 60lb leader it was pulling drag very quickly. I tightened up but a bit too late and it got me in the structure. Next drop was my mates, down went the live squid and even more drag. The squid was down there for about 45 seconds and boom, on. The fish only manged to pull a couple clicks of drag and ended up measuring 80cm. Then I landed a 71cm and we continued to land many kings throughout the morning. We got done a couple times by what we are calling metre kings due to people around us landing some over a metre. Lesson learnt is to go more drag, heavier leader if fish aren't line shy and hold on. All fish were realesed and the ones over 70 were tagged and sent back. Good to see the bigger ones coming back over a winter full of rats and the odd big one.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Photo removed - breach site rule obliterated background
  • Like 8

On 9/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, 61 crusher said:

Good workout & report, fresh livies definitely make a difference on catch rate & as Pickles mentioned good on you for releasing & tagging the bigger models out of curiosity was that close inshore or inside 

Just on the inside near heads

• Thanks 1