My first trip to Browns 14/9/20

kingie chaser

I was lucky enough to be asked to join in on a trip along with @61 crusher out to the deep with @zmk1962 on his mighty Barrycudda.

The trip out to the marks was comfortable & also entertaining coming into multiple pods of large dolphins & also sighting whales blowing & breaching across the horizon.

Again another new experience with using electric reels which was a learning curve, it took a little to get used to but managed with a bit of time.

We spot locked on different marks & while we didnt have any luck on the intended targets the experience was still one to remember.

We set up a trolling spread coming back into 12 mile but no joy there either.

Still even while an unfruitful trip it was full of great conversation & talk about of great trips & experiences of the past.

For me looking at the way different people set up rigs & how they approach their fishing is always something to learn for so the experience is invaluable.

Water temp out wide was about 16.5*c & in closer more around 19*c

I am very appreciative of the opportunity to join in on the trip & hopefully will be asked again sometime in the future, hopefully with better luck but as they say thats fishing.

• Like 8

Hey @kingie chaser, thanks for posting... it was indeed a day with lots of FISHING ... and very little catching. But hopefully the first of many.

... 10hrs on the water, 177km covered... multiple drops and drifts fishing 380-550m ..... and ... thats fishing. 

Nevertheless lots of wonderful sights, fresh air, and great conversation .... and I'm sure we got to solve most of the world's problems. 

We also had all the thrill and anticipation of at least one rod thump, thumping 500m to the surface .... sadly no blue-eye but a dogfish .. quickly released after capture.

https://www.afma.gov.au/sites/default/files/uploads/2016/09/Deepwater-Shark-and-Skate-ID-Guide-FINAL-1.pdf

image.png.a0bdc919fd01b8e0b0ba6413f0d50aee.png

Look forward to the next adventure.

Cheers Zoran

PS. Deep droppers. The drift ran S - N at about 1.5km/h. Water temp at 16-17C.  We saw three boats at Browns - all seemed to be doing it tough with no fish seen to be brought onboard. 

image.thumb.png.4d703c8301b6cf8f7791d6ff3290336d.png

IMG_4263.thumb.PNG.f78386c388758aafaeeed061a11d609a.PNG

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey @kingie chaser, thanks for posting... it was indeed a day with lots of FISHING ... and very little catching. But hopefully the first of many.

... 10hrs on the water, 177km covered... multiple drops and drifts fishing 380-550m ..... and ... thats fishing. 

Nevertheless lots of wonderful sights, fresh air, and great conversation .... and I'm sure we got to solve most of the world's problems. 

We also had all the thrill and anticipation of at least one rod thump, thumping 500m to the surface .... sadly no blue-eye but a dogfish .. quickly released after capture.

https://www.afma.gov.au/sites/default/files/uploads/2016/09/Deepwater-Shark-and-Skate-ID-Guide-FINAL-1.pdf

image.png.a0bdc919fd01b8e0b0ba6413f0d50aee.png

Look forward to the next adventure.

Cheers Zoran

PS. Deep droppers. The drift ran S - N at about 1.5km/h. Water temp at 16-17C.  We saw three boats at Browns - all seemed to be doing it tough with no fish seen to be brought onboard. 

image.thumb.png.4d703c8301b6cf8f7791d6ff3290336d.png

IMG_4263.thumb.PNG.f78386c388758aafaeeed061a11d609a.PNG

Thanks Zoran very helpful informative post there

• Like 1

Thanks  @zmk1962 for the opportunity of deep dropping again & sharing it with @kingie chaser & I as well as searching up on the dogfish 

It was also interesting to see how busy the whale highway was (stopped count after 12) & how much plankton was in the water. We certainly covered some ground & spots

Cheers Dieter 

• Like 2

All Good Dieter .... if there's no catching then there's always something to learn on every trip - this trip it was "dogfish". Didn't realise there were so many types .... and it was the first for Barrycuda.

BTW, thanks for the sash weights again !  I'll get them ready for round 2 or is it 3.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:10 PM, kingie chaser said:

it took a little to get used to but managed with a bit of time.

Haha! Sore finger???? I wish I had an electric casting rod! 🤣🤣🤣

Awesome to see fishraiders get together and spend the day fishing! Good on you fellas 👍

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just thought Id add a little footage of our only catch for the day.

I must admit the anticipation was high the way the rod was bending & stopping the drag, its the feeling we all have I think no matter the type of fishing we are doing but when your using reasonably heavy gear I think the expectations go up a notch.

Mind you it was my 1st experience at deep dropping & there was an element of excitment 😄

Also due to the motion of the boat you have to look for the "head shaking" 😉

Still, gives you an idea about the electric reel action.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1