Bate bay monday

M1100S

Went out yesterday to bate bay for a fish with the aim of getting a snapper for myself or a few flathead.

Was a perfect morning the water was like glass in bay and no swell outside so a nice run from botany. Was fishing by 630 at my chosen spot. Cannot say my snapper hunting went well.... got a small one about 20cm and then i dont know what it was but looked like a baby baraccura... so im just enjoying the morning and then i see some birds going nuts in distance and read always look out for the birds....so 100 mile an hour i motor over and it was like the water was boiling such a massive bust up. I never seen anything like that as my first bustup on the water

I quickly find a lure and throw the gillies 40g lure and cast out like mad....so many dodgy casts as i was sooo excited.... i looked like an ametuer lol... not secureing the bail arm, bloody sun shade getting in way, me being a right hand caster on wrong side of the boat ughhh. Didnt help my cheap reel didnt hold up to well either 

Best 1 hr fishing on the boat so far just chasing the school around. Those salmon can sure fight hard.  Landed 3 in the boat. Let 2 go back and had the lure spat out 4 times. Rest of the day landed on Tiger flattie and a rock cod for mum. No legal snapper but hell it was a fun morning out on the water. Hope its the same next monday.

20200914_125326.jpg

Edited by M1100S
  • Like 8

I think i had some fun with those same Salmon on Sunday morning off Malabar. They were busting up everywhere but in a kayak it was hard work catching up. I was using a plastic slug type lure for a while then switched over to a metal after the plastics were falling apart. In terms of retrival, I would mix it up. If they were on the surface I'd try and cast past them and then rip it through the school quite fast, with a pause here and there. If i could see on the sounder they were down deep, I'd let it sink for 5 secs or so then the same type of retrival. Landed around 5,  lost a few more. I also prefer single hooks as I don't often keep fish. Easier to remove and get straight back into the school. 

Nice work, something in the esky & a fun session.

8 hours ago, M1100S said:

Do you let the lure sink or just on surface? wind slowly, or like crazy? 

Also is a single hook better than trebbles??

Q1. totally depends on the day & what they are, depending on the depth sometimes there could be other fish in or under a salmon school so ut pays to mix it up.

Q2. I change all my trebbles out to single hooks, just easier to get the fish of whether releasing or not, no point spending 2 or 3 minutes trying to get 3 barbs out while the school moveson or disapears.

Edited by kingie chaser

12 hours ago, M1100S said:

Do you let the lure sink or just on surface? wind slowly, or like crazy? 

Also is a single hook better than trebbles??

Nice work mate! Casting into some surface action is always the best type of fishing IMO! 

As @kingie chaser said, it all depends on the day, species...and the size of bait they are chasing! - you can never wind fast enough for pelagics (Providing you have your rod tip to the the water and the metal isn't jumping out like crazy).

I change all my trebles to singles, except for bibbed trolling lures which some require a treble on the belly to keep them stable. A lot easier and safer on the boat to get the fish unhooked, and back into the action quickly. 🤙

Cheers, Brendo