Cowan Creek dayshift

yo_jono

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time reporter. 

Put in at appletree this morning around 7.30, straight down to little jeruslam bay to try jig some squid (first time) 

No luck? But had a monster flattie follow my Jig up..kept berlying hard to try and get some livies but stuff all. 

Went up jeruslam, poddies are schooling everywhere, again.. not interested. Seen another monster flattie chase my squidgy in this time but never hit it, too busy smashing the tiny mullet. 

Heaps of bigger ones arou d the ramp, and a few blackfish hanging under the pontoon aswell, might berley up and try some there in the morning for mullet. Heading back out tomorrow to actually chase fish, only wanted bait today.. but yeah ya get that 🤣 

If anyone can help with a good current livie spot up that way, please shout out. 

Cheers

Jono

• Like 1

What works for me to get yakkas: They bite best around 1 hour before sunrise, and then disappear around sunrise. At Apple Tree, among the parked boats is good; PM me for the exact spot. The rig is: straight through 0.25mm fluoro, 4.5mm glow stick about 30 or 40 cm, above the hook, then a small sinker above just the hook if its windy. Apple Tree Bay yakkas are tiny, so the best hooks are the tiniest you can get. Long shank hooks have lower catch rate but are easier to unhook. The tiny black hooks from a shop (not sure what they're called) have better catch rate but break or get swallowed more easily. Tiny pieces of raw chicken is the best bait. Btw, the glow sticks are important; they seem to attract the yakkas and increase the chance to get them hugely.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:06 AM, Welster said:

Welcome to fishraider.   Going by your report getting a poddy trap and targeting flatties with them might produce some good ones. 

Thanks mate! Yeah had my poddy trap out, allday and overnight up the bay, nothing was interested. Berleyed etc etc, might do a shorey to appletree one day/arvo and get some around the ramp. Cheers! 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:44 PM, FrigateMack said:

What works for me to get yakkas: They bite best around 1 hour before sunrise, and then disappear around sunrise. At Apple Tree, among the parked boats is good; PM me for the exact spot. The rig is: straight through 0.25mm fluoro, 4.5mm glow stick about 30 or 40 cm, above the hook, then a small sinker above just the hook if its windy. Apple Tree Bay yakkas are tiny, so the best hooks are the tiniest you can get. Long shank hooks have lower catch rate but are easier to unhook. The tiny black hooks from a shop (not sure what they're called) have better catch rate but break or get swallowed more easily. Tiny pieces of raw chicken is the best bait. Btw, the glow sticks are important; they seem to attract the yakkas and increase the chance to get them hugely.

Thanks for that mate, standard sabiki jigs no good? Usually have a heap of livies with one of them and small bits of prawn. 

Silly old me didn't even think to have a look around there 🙄  I will have a sound around next time I am there, I'll shoot you a PM. 

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

Welcome aboard Jono - can’t help with info on Yakkas in the area, but can help where to target them in Sydney Harbour if that helps? Pm me if it helps

Thanks mate! 

I try and steer clear of the harbour, sort of set in my ways up the hawkesbury. One day I might venture out there and chase some kingies or something. When I get a bigger boat 🤣 mine would handle it I don't doubt, I just feel at ease on the river. 

3 hours ago, FishnDish said:

Off the point next to the empire marina. bit of pilchard on a small hook. they are there 70% of the time I would say.

No worries mate thanks! I shall have a sound around next time I head up. 

Cheers!