catching poddies via a boat

hello good people,

I used to catch poddies off the shore line when I was land based..

as I fish mostly boat based nowdays, Im not usually near a shore line to put a poddy trap out. 

has anyone managed to catch poddy mullet via a boat? Or do I need to pull up on a shore line and put the trap out and come back later?

Kindest Regards, David.

I've never heard of anyone trapping them from a boat. If they are going to trap you'll normally get all you need in 20 odd minutes and i've always found they trap best at the top of the tide which works in well if you're looking to fish the run out tide

Same as New Signing, I've never heard of anyone trapping poddies from a boat. Anyway, I reckon anything over shin deep water is a waste of time.

When I still owned a boat I just used to set my traps up on the flats and throw a plastic around nearby, before coming back to check them.

Its a bit of a bummer these days that you're only allowed 1 trap.

ok thanks, thought as much, Im going to have to set a container on the shore line somewhere....
ive been both successful and unsuccessful from shore with poddy traps. 

thanks for the advice

The key to trapping poddies is to only have very small squares of bread in the trap because if a bigger piece floats out they tend to follow it away in the current. The other trick is to only have the trap set just deep enough for them to be able to swim over the top of it

2 hours ago, New Signing said:

The key to trapping poddies is to only have very small squares of bread in the trap because if a bigger piece floats out they tend to follow it away in the current. The other trick is to only have the trap set just deep enough for them to be able to swim over the top of it

Yes I know, Ive caught them from shore before, was just seeing if anyone has done them from boat.

I have caught poddies from my boat a few times at Wagonga Inlet on Sth coast when fishing a comp.  I run boat nose onto a fairly steep bank and set trap from side of boat in about a fool of water.  I then either go back to drifting for flatties or anchor neerby and fish for poddies with a rod.  My trap has a handle that i can hook with my gaff to retrieve it from boat.  Ron 

• Like 3
On 9/17/2020 at 7:59 PM, campr said:

I have caught poddies from my boat a few times at Wagonga Inlet on Sth coast when fishing a comp.  I run boat nose onto a fairly steep bank and set trap from side of boat in about a fool of water.  I then either go back to drifting for flatties or anchor neerby and fish for poddies with a rod.  My trap has a handle that i can hook with my gaff to retrieve it from boat.  Ron 

cool, im tryng to understand a few things though....
boat nose onto fairly steep bank? I take it you mean a shore line?

I think I understand, set a trap on the edge and come back later? that could work, might give it a go. cheers for that.

11 minutes ago, motiondave said:

cool, im tryng to understand a few things though....
boat nose onto fairly steep bank? I take it you mean a shore line?

I think I understand, set a trap on the edge and come back later? that could work, might give it a go. cheers for that.

When I used to catch poddies with my father in port Stephens when I was a kid we would get in the tinny(same one I'm using 40+years later) & go all the way over the other side of the bay to the west end if Jimmy's beach & put the trap in on the sandy beach in 2 foot of water.

Reason being that's where they live, along the shore line.

While we were waiting we would pump for yabbies.

Come back in 10 & full trap.

• Like 1

@kingie chaser , cool. As mentioned, I have caught them from shore before, so all good. I can see they do not really come near boasts, but I have seen schools of them next to pontoons floating about. I might actually set a trap next one time to test the idea, or even just burley up heaps. Id say, obviously a quiet bay is the go. 
anything is worth a shot.
with coming close to shore, I thought of a long gaf style hook to reach out and set the trap in place. but of a rope handle on the trap.

just some ideas running about....

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, motiondave said:

@kingie chaser , cool. As mentioned, I have caught them from shore before, so all good. I can see they do not really come near boasts, but I have seen schools of them next to pontoons floating about. I might actually set a trap next one time to test the idea, or even just burley up heaps. Id say, obviously a quiet bay is the go. 
anything is worth a shot.
with coming close to shore, I thought of a long gaf style hook to reach out and set the trap in place. but of a rope handle on the trap.

just some ideas running about....

If you look at their behaviour they will be most likely to stay in the shallows for protection at that size & it continues into adulthood as well until heading out to sea to spawn.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/375937/Sea-Mullet.pdf

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/content/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/sw-species/poddy-mullet

I mean you could possible try & put a suspended poddy trap on a float in the middle of the bay/river(check your state regs!) but think the chances of catching any are slim. 

• Like 1