60 something crisis

mowie1

Where would you go or return to fish if you could in Australia. When the boarders open I am looking to having a trip of a life time, 60 something crisis, if I don't do it soon it may never happen. I am reasonably fit and well, no time issues, fly or drive, and done a lot of fishing (boat)  Not really into freshwater fishing. So where would you go?

if time and money were no object, 

id start in South Australia going after big snapper

then head to 1770 for some reef fishing

then do a live aboard charter chasing game fish.

by then international travel should be open, and id cap it off with a fishing and hunting trip to NZ chasing deer in the south, and high kings at the ranfurely banks. 

1 hour ago, mowie1 said:

Where would you go or return to fish if you could in Australia. When the boarders open I am looking to having a trip of a life time, 60 something crisis, if I don't do it soon it may never happen. I am reasonably fit and well, no time issues, fly or drive, and done a lot of fishing (boat)  Not really into freshwater fishing. So where would you go?

Its a very open question, if you could define it a bit more then it would be easier to make suggestions.

Land based or boat or both?

Own boat or charters?

Any particular target species??

Me, I would love to do a week trip out to Swains reef for all those amaizing reef species, then I would head to Weipa for some GT & Barra action, then over to Merville island & then Dampier/Pilbara.

Then down to West of Rotnest fishing for 40kg Sambo's.

So many options, its only a matter on money :15:

And if you didnnt specify Australia then I would say head to north island NZ & smash the 20/30kg Kings.

Edited by kingie chaser

What are you most interested in there @mowie1.  Whats your thoughts and what type of fishing would you like to do.

Adventure with fishing, Flyin/Flyout Landbased with a guide each day, Liveaboard Coral sea, Liveaboard Coastal (Northern Australia).

And many more options.

Edited by Blackfish

We are so lucky to have fabbo spots. If you have dollars to burn you can choose whatever takes your fancy.

Anywhere on east coast Merimbula, Port Stephens

Broome WA some good charters there (did one on a lap) would return just to get a sailfish!

Exmouth WA a must charter (did one on a lap)

Kakadu NT don't miss this area (did one on a lap) then there is Cahills Crossing ......

Port Lincoln SA

Weipa (swordie did a few houseboat stays)

We were about to do the Whitsundays QLD, Cairns, 1770, Hervey Bay and Karumba QLD and The Gulf towing a van and tinny and got turned back this Feb due to Covid-19 restrictions/lockdowns. Next year for us hopefully. 

mrsswordie

• Like 1

Personaly I enjoy my trips out from 1770 as they cost very little and I'm still under my own control in regards to fishing and snorkelling etc. However get the weather wrong or head there when the hordes turn up from Brisbane and the Gold Coast and it soon changes your opinion.

Another place I enjoy taking my boat to but would be equally happy not taking my boat is Port Douglas. The little town atmosphere, amazing wildlife and half decent fishing makes for a both action and relaxing destination. The tropical rainforest of the Daintree is another bonus for those who enjoy seeking out nature. The Port Douglas pubs and restaurants have a wonderful laid back feel and the variety of boat cruises out to the reefs are quite varied. Like most places planning outside of peak season and when the weather is also at its best can greatly influence any trip.

The NT can also be quite an adventure if you have time to really explore and see what's on offer, once again a nature and wildlife lovers dream. Ive done the NT several times scratching only at its surface on several occasions with my own boats. 

Im all for searching what this country has on offer, overseas doesn't interest me so much these days.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, JonD said:

Im all for searching what this country has on offer, overseas doesn't interest me so much these days.

We pretty much have it all dont we Jon :thumbup:

Unless your on this path to catch some obscure or specific species. 

However it is all about locations & what they have to offer.

Still if you want to get your arms stretched on say the elusive 1m barra or walk prestine streams for a trophy trout there is something for everyone on our doorstep.

• Like 1

Hi all...mowie1,cape York is the place to go.take a 12ft tinnie and work your way to the tip.the fishing is unbelievable.and the trip is one of the best in Australia.

if you decide to go,contact me.ive been up there so many times i can’t count.and lived up there on 3 seperate occasions.