Reef Bashing Tactics - Where to go

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

I find myself with a few spare minutes and thought it would be good to post up my thoughts on how best fish a reef. Some of us are lucky to get out every weekend but i am also aware that some of us are quite limited in time and dont have the luxury of trialing and testing out on the water - so hopefully these tips will help narrow down your target area and increase your chance of finding a few fish.

A while ago i had previously posted a report on bottom bashing tactics, that article was more inclined as to "how" to fish. This article however is more related to "where" to fish. Whether your bottom bashing, flicking plastics or at anchor, the topic of this article is really about where to look for fish. For those who are interested, you can have a read of the bottom bashing tactics on the link below.

This post comes with the usual big fat disclaimer that this is what works for me. I am sure others will have different ideas and methods which also work. I do not claim nor believe that the ideas represented below are the only way to fish !  So now, to get on with it. I have selected a nondescript reef south east of long reef in about 40m, a reef i visit often for its terrain and attributes.

So what should a keen fisho with his heart set on finding a few fish look for ? There are some obvious no brainer answers - reef - pinnacles - ledges and the like. But there are a few other considerations that are equally as important. An important acquired skill is trying to visualize what the seabed underneath your boat actually looks like. In this image there is a pinnacle denoted as A. With a second pinnacle denoted B . I have drawn a section through both pinnacles which would give a better understanding of the rise and fall of the seabed.

Immediately - there are three target zones clear to me, the gradual soft sloping edge to the right hand side of pinnacle B - the space inbetween pinnacle A & B, as well as the bottom of the ledge and gradual slope on the left hand side of pinnacle A. Unless i am fishing for kings, i tend not to fish directly over the top of reef and pinnacles as generally this is where i find the jackets, the sweep and other garbage. It is also where you will snag your line and lose lots of gear. I also feel that in a general sense, fish do not like to hang out at the top of pinnacles as they are very exposed and susceptible to attack from all sides.

image.thumb.png.e329b89aeec5b1a5cc055119cb5ee262.png

So now we have highlighted the target zones it gives us a much better idea of where to position our boat for anchoring or for drifting.

Area C - a gradual upward slope met by a sudden and steep reef wall - predatory fish will be hanging out here waiting for small bait to mistakenly venture too far from the reef. A good spot to look for bait schools and pelagics to be chasing them.

Area D - sandwiched between two pinnacles but this area is important as it also functions as a highway between the northern and southern flatter sections adjacent to the pinnacles without the fish having to venture over the top of the reef and become exposed to attack. The steeper sloped left side of pinnacle B is also a great area to find predators who are waiting for fish to wander off the top of the pinnacle without much visibility over the other side.

Area E - Flatter gradual slope falling away from the pinnacle, similar to D and depending on current/tide direction here you will find predators hanging out for any fish that mistakenly make their way over the top of the ledge - i would fish this as a prime location for snapper and flathead.

In my experience the three target zones are likely to produce different species, but that being said i have found fish where i least expected them to be ! Sometimes they are simply chasing bait and will be in an area they otherwise wouldnt be.

So there you have it guys - it pays to review the mark your fishing as well as the general vicinity to visualize what is happening underneath, as that often helps narrow down your search area.

Thanks for reading 

image.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Wow Sam what a fantastic post,very detailed and no doubt comes from years of experience. I don't get to fish of Sydney anymore as I live on the other side of the range now. But I really appreciate the info you have posted and I bet so do the 1000,s of other raiders. Top stuff and thanks again 🤙

Cheers Scotty 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Sam for sharing this, i have the same map and obviously a sounder with charts on it. The way you have explained it in detail has helped me a lot understand how to read both and especially how to find reef edges, which I've always struggled with. 👍

• Like 1