First jew on a soft plastic-Georges river

SaltyGreek

Went out today with 2 of my mates @JamoDamo and Oliver to try and land a jewfish. We’ve persisted at this particular spot for months now with no luck on jews, only bicatch and eels, until this morning in the pouring rain.

We arrived at the spot at around 9:35am. We began to set up all of our gear as well as defrosting the yellowtail which we had planned on using for bait. After setting everything up I picked up my soft plastics rod and had a flick. Thought to myself “may as well do something while I wait for the bait to defrost”. Anyways about midway through the retrieve on the first cast I went to give my plastic another 2 hops and I felt weight. At first I thought I was snagged but then it started peeling out drag. As soon as it made that run I knew it was a jewy. 

After a few short runs and a few head shakes I had a tired jewy at my feet. I slowly guided the fish in towards Oliver who slipped the net under the fish. Finally! After many Jewless sessions we had finally landed our target. High fives all round. He measured 77cm and weighed about 4kg or so. 

This jewy was special. Not only was it my first jewfish on a soft plastics it was also my first landbased jewfish, new PB Jew (77cm from 70cm) and it was caught in the first cast. It’s a fish I’m going to remember for long time.

For the rest of the session, jamo had landed a 27cm bream and a 42cm flathead as well as losing a fish that we think was a solid bream or trevally. Unfortunately Oliver did not get a fish. Despite this it was a great day out fishing with the boys.

FC8AF564-EA88-4431-8606-3A9A2B83FD11.jpeg.9a9cc6c17fcda66c39da004af905b067.jpeg

DEA6FAF7-B0AE-4F4B-B1DC-C35E05E904E3.thumb.jpeg.390036ad6cd6d4255970d901466c34d5.jpeg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Re-orientated the pic
  • Like 13

18 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

new PB Jew and it was caught in the first cast. It’s a fish I’m going to remember for long time.

FC8AF564-EA88-4431-8606-3A9A2B83FD11.thumb.jpeg.2caedf219bb19cd1a54a7742d51bcc4a.jpegDEA6FAF7-B0AE-4F4B-B1DC-C35E05E904E3.thumb.jpeg.390036ad6cd6d4255970d901466c34d5.jpeg

Nice work lads, sounds like you all had a geat day out.

Nice work on the PB jew as well, what did it go??

You didnt mention your past PB or what this one was?? 

Edited by kingie chaser

17 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work lads, sounds like you all had a geat day out.

Nice work on the PB jew as well, what did it go??

You didnt mention your past PB or what this one was?? 

Sorry forgot to mention. This one today went 77cm, an upgrade from 70cm. 

Love your work SaltyGreek. Congratulations. You will find these fish consistently frequent certain locations and we've run out tides are the most productive. Also try small blades in the same manner as your SP's. If you feel a "tap" it is probably your lure hitting the back of a jewies throat. Well done. Hoods

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fun2fish said:

Congratulations always good when a plan comes together I hope to go better on Jews and kingies

Kkmyself this summer .only problem I love a feed of flathead so I can get impatient keep up the great fishing 

Thanks. Yeh flathead are great and they’re pretty easy to get on soft plastics. Who doesn’t love a feed of flathead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

Love your work SaltyGreek. Congratulations. You will find these fish consistently frequent certain locations and we've run out tides are the most productive. Also try small blades in the same manner as your SP's. If you feel a "tap" it is probably your lure hitting the back of a jewies throat. Well done. Hoods

Will try blades and vibes next time I go out. I think this fish hit the lure in the drop because I didn’t feel any tap or anything. Just went for my double flick and it was on

2 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Man that was our first good sesh in a while aye. Good work on the jew really proud of you man you finally achieved ur landbased jew dream! I think if we fish the same we did today there will be many more to come

For sure. We’ll keep at it and get more 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

Sorry forgot to mention. This one today went 77cm, an upgrade from 70cm. 

Nice upgrade :thumbup:

You dont think 7cm would be much but on a mulloway that 7cm is an increase from a 3.5kg@70cm fish to a 4.5kg@77cm fish(approx)!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2