Nelson Bay Squid

RU4REEL

Hello FishRaiders

So I spend a lot of time up at Nelson Bay and thought I’d share one of my squid adventures I had earlier this year.

My favourite spot is around Fingal where it’s a bit weedy/rocky/sandy. Arriving around 10am I started with an orange jig which didn’t entice the squid. Then I changed to a yellow and I couldn’t believe how quick the squid were on to it. Standing on the end of the pipeline wrestling the biggest squid I’ve ever seen. I had that awful feeling that I’d lose it as the waves were giving it some but I managed to safely land it.

After that excitement, I cast out again and I was on straight away, they were pulling some line! In the end, I left around lunchtime with three hefty squid. They just seemed to vanish and nothing was happening but for that 15-20 min window...they were savage. Had a great time.

B57D6D5B-3CB5-4F62-A0F0-DF810860AB8C.jpeg

• Like 14

To be honest, I don't cook them much. I mostly use them for bait. 

I did a spanish paella one time and stuffed it in the tube and put it on the BBQ, amazing results 😀

Word of warning, don't leave the heads in your ice box outside on a 35 degree day. I forgot about them and went to open the box the next day. The stink would have torn ya teeth out!! Absolutely putrid stench, I had to bury them up behind us in the reserve 🤢

• 3 months later...