How not to drive a boat onto a trailer

Yowie

I was talking to an old mate, that I see quite often on my morning walks (not walking if out fishing :074:)

This morning he saw several hairy chested males yabbering away while one was trying to drive a boat, around the 25 foot mark with a large outboard motor, around the Sylvania ramp. The boat hit the pontoon, another object out on the water, and then it was time to try driving it onto the boat trailer.

The boat had an elongated bow for the anchor placement.

The boat hit the trailer side arm and did not go onto the trailer. He thinks the trailer was not built for this boat.

Back off, then the boat "captain" (more like the deckie on his first trip out) guns the motor a bit faster on the second attempt to drive up the trailer. The boat makes it onto the trailer, but keeps going. The tow vehicle is a BMW SUV, he thinks maybe an X3, looks very new.

The boat keeps going, into the back of the BMW, through the rear window, and part way through the roof. Major damage. Much yelling and arm waving in a foreign language. 🤣 He then walked away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I haven't seen to many major FUBAR's in person but YouTube is full of them, few months ago saw a a commercial operator drop his(or his bosses) boat off the trailer about 20ft before the waterline at foreshore rd ramp.

Lucky it was one of those flat bottom alloys that's tough as nails!

50 minutes ago, motiondave said:

im going to search for that on youtube :D

Would be a good watch, if you find it let us know.

Edited by kingie chaser

A lot of people don't realise that it is more difficult to manoeuvre a boat onto a trailer than reverse parking a car or backing a trailer. Lots of folk have boat licences but have NEVER done any practical test to demonstrate their competence. Sounds like this skipper was such a person. COSTLY MISTAKE!  bn

One of the best I have seen, also at the hole in the wall at Sylvania, was 4 eastern European guys roll up in a nice, big, new boat and equally nice car. Backed onto the ramp and proceeded to unload the gear from the car into the boat, holding me and a couple of others up. All done, they backed further into the water and one guy hopped in while the other one manually unwound the hand winch. The third bloke started yelling to stop and pull the boat back in. Water was almost sloshing over the transom. The bloke couldn't wind the boat back onto the trailer as it was now 1/4 full of water. They then decided to drive the boat out of the water with the car. Boat was half on, half off the trailer. Third bloke was trying to push the boat on as it was slowly dragged back up the ramp and his mobile fell out of his shirt pocket, into the drink. There was a loud crack as either the keel or hull fractured and then the cable on the winch snapped. Boat slid off and sunk on the ramp. Expensive day out for those boys too.

Edited by Killer
word left out
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

A lot of people don't realise that it is more difficult to manoeuvre a boat onto a trailer than reverse parking a car or backing a trailer. Lots of folk have boat licences but have NEVER done any practical test to demonstrate their competence. Sounds like this skipper was such a person. COSTLY MISTAKE!  bn

Yep, e.g. my mate got his nsw boat licence in 1 day with some company that does the qualification, never even got on a boat or attached a trailer.

When I did mine I had go with someone licences, fill in a log book with a set number of hours & signed by the licence holder then I could sit the exam.

Short cuts = short skilled!

• Like 1

ramps are a funny old place.

if you aren't confident, there's an army of people usually around who would be willing to give a helping hand.

I helped an older guy a few weeks ago get his boat on his trailer, he was with his partner and disabled son, he was very appreciative and even tried to give me a 6 pack.

• Like 5

3 years ago our boat was berthed at Bobbin Head and a guy purchased a second hand 50 foot cruiser. He had no boat experience and the first day he had it he went out with a mate and got on the turps big time, came back in and whilst trying to berth it he hit 5 boats causing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage. When they finally got him in he was charged by the police and his insurance company wiped their hands of his claim. Now that was pretty dumb. Luckily our 47 was not hit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Killer said:

One of the best I have seen, also at the hole in the wall at Sylvania, was 4 eastern European guys roll up in a nice, big, new boat and equally nice car. Backed onto the ramp and proceeded to unload the gear from the car into the boat, holding me and a couple of others up. All done, they backed further into the water and one guy hopped in while the other one manually unwound the hand winch. The third bloke started yelling to stop and pull the boat back in. Water was almost sloshing over the transom. The bloke couldn't wind the boat back onto the trailer as it was now 1/4 full of water. They then decided to drive the boat out of the water with the car. Boat was half on, half off the trailer. Third bloke was trying to push the boat on as it was slowly dragged back up the ramp and his mobile fell out of his shirt pocket, into the drink. There was a loud crack as either the keel or hull fractured and then the cable on the winch snapped. Boat slid off and sunk on the ramp. Expensive day out for those boys too.

Well never say never but I hope I am smart enough & had thought & dry practiced about the process enough to never have a situation like that when I get myself a larger boat.

But its not that hard launching & retrieving a boat is?? 

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

There are plenty of open  spaces & large car parks you can take your trailer to practice!

That's what I did with my first caravan. The current one now has a reversing camera.

In a van park, there are always "experts" telling you what to do. :074: