Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. Pulled out 2 yakkas, cut them up for bait.

A nice jewie pulled out and kept, 2 others released at 71 and 75cm. One on pillies, the other on yakka fillets. Also caught the reddie on yakka.

At the bottom of the tide, headed to South West Arm and threw a lure about for nothing. Pumped some nippers and tried a few spots before finding the whiting at Lilli Pilli flats. The fish were scattered, some time between bites. Also pulled out a bream, about 30cm, and a trevally about 40cm, both released.

The flattie was found in a deeper hole, hence the dark colour, on the last nipper, then headed for home.

With one of the jewies, a little reddie was hanging onto the bait and banging away trying to eat it, it suddenly let go, then a big hit from the jewie. The jewie headed to the surface and I thought it was a big tailor, until it's dorsal and tail fins were breaking the surface, where it stayed until it was netted. Have had the occasional jewie head to the surface to fight it out. Maybe the jewie was trying to grab the reddie.

Plenty of bream to be seen in various parts of the channels and flats, many undersized, and a few over 30cm.

fish.jpeg.266_files_files.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

Some nice fish there well done 👍🏽 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Good mixed bag and one of those whiting is a real cracker!

Cheers

Fil

Just over 43cm, caught in about half a metre of water.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great haul mate. Like the Jewie. Well done.

Thank you. Happy to pull out 3 legals in the one day.

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Mr Consistency! Great haul yet again yowie 💪💪

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Starting to pick up now, and the bream are moving in.

1 minute ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome bag of fish there Yowie. You certainly have the hacking figured out. Great work

Thank you. There still are some spots I have not yet fished, or not fished for a long time. 😂 Maybe another time.

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice catch there Yowie.

I always enjoy reading your reports. Real "grass roots" fishing and productive.

Thank you. Rather than specifically target particular fish like some fishos, I am happy to fish certain ways, according to tides and wind, and pull up whatever takes the bait.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Top stuff Yowie, awesome seeing the jew in such good numbers already.

I was happy with 3 legals in the one day, one on a rod, and 2 on hand lines. One boat motored close to me as he was passing by, so I just let the jewie swim about on the hand line until he was some distance away. 😁

• Like 1

Hi Dave

That is an impressive bag of fish. The fishing in the Hacking seems to pick up around the Oct long weekend lets hope this is the start of a good season. 

I tried not to disturb the fish to much when I pulled up to say hello. At the gentleman's hour I was heading out the  bite is usually slowing down anyway. We had a quiet morning outside.

Bruce

6 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Dave

That is an impressive bag of fish. The fishing in the Hacking seems to pick up around the Oct long weekend lets hope this is the start of a good season. 

I tried not to disturb the fish to much when I pulled up to say hello. At the gentleman's hour I was heading out the  bite is usually slowing down anyway. We had a quiet morning outside.

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Just as you were leaving the reddie came up and that was it until I moved. You did not disturb the fishing at all. I have had drop kicks motor nearly as close as you at full speed. So much room to go around me, and they blast pass so close. 👹 I wave them away, and some just stick their fingers up.

It was a good day out, next time might be not much caught at all.

Dave.

6 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

Great mixed bag and you sure make the most of local baits! i'm on a two week break so I'll be out there myself soon:)

Thank you. The fishing is improving slowly so there might be a few about. School holidays will see an increase in boat and jet ski traffic.

5 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Well done on a nice mixed bag & managing 3 jewies in the one session, would’ve been interesting on the hand line 

Thank you. The jewies put up a bit of fight on a hand line. I thought I had a 4th one just as I was packing up, but it was easily 4 foot of shovelnose. 

On 9/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, Yowie said:

I was happy with 3 legals in the one day, one on a rod, and 2 on hand lines. One boat motored close to me as he was passing by, so I just let the jewie swim about on the hand line until he was some distance away. 😁

Yeah, most of the spots I fish these days are in the bays away from the main channels. Not because they are necessarily better spots, just that I can't stand the continual boats flying past, especially when I'm restricted to weekends...

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 4:41 PM, Yowie said:

Thank you. The jewies put up a bit of fight on a hand line. I thought I had a 4th one just as I was packing up, but it was easily 4 foot of shovelnose. 

Always love the mixed bags Yowie.

Just curious as to what your handline setup is and how you manage them when you fish on your own. Do you fish multiple at once? If so, how do you set them? Do you leave the fish to run free after they take the bait or fix them somehow so they hook themselves?

13 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Always love the mixed bags Yowie.

Just curious as to what your handline setup is and how you manage them when you fish on your own. Do you fish multiple at once? If so, how do you set them? Do you leave the fish to run free after they take the bait or fix them somehow so they hook themselves?

Giving away trade secrets here.

I use hand casters, 15 pound mono with squid strips, 12 pound mono with fish strips, use both at either end of the boat. I angle them so that a fish can run off line, the bigger fish will run faster, then a matter of grabbing the line and hooking up.

Different fish run at different speeds. Legal reddies take off like a rocket most times, other fish are mostly slower, until you hook up, such as a kingie, or an eagle ray, then it's full speed.

I angle the casters with small plastic wheel chocks in the bottom of the boat, adjusting the angle to stop the line running all the time with any current that may be there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

Giving away trade secrets here.

I knew there was a trick to it! Thanks for sharing :)

I've been doing more handlining of late, mainly because you can keep them rigged and they are easy to carry. Means I can get a full ten mins of fishing on the way to the park with the kids, without having to muck around with much gear. Actually been really enjoying it and it made me think of the astonishing levels of effectiveness you attain with handlines :)