New reel- Fin Nor brand

Greg Foster

I bought a new reel today to go with my J/W Mundoo Rod

I found this rod in my Father in laws shed rafters Still in the J/W material cover 

The tackle shop at Charlestown recommended this after looking at the rod

cant wait to try it out

I was eyeing the Alvey SR Series but at $95 I couldn’t pass this up

43079B8A-64EE-4ABD-9C9D-39EEDEF4C30F.jpeg

1BC85266-1286-4FA7-B6CC-0B9DA8D14BF9.jpeg

82AC892E-109F-4155-9974-0E5B6448616E.jpeg

The rod brings back some memories there GF, I had a 9ft Mundoo Solid Glass, first runner folding and a Chrome on Brass ferrule back in the day. 2 piece as well paired with a 5 1/2 inch Rosewood Alvey. Pretty sure my mates still got the Alvey up the Central Coast.

Good luck with catching your first fish on it.

• Like 1

I've never owned one, but heard good reports on Fin-Nor reels being fairly robust.

That Mundoo 9' brings back a lot of good memories. I owned one as a kid in the 60's and caught countless drummer, bream and groper on it. Looks in very nice condition for its age and probably worth a few bucks to a collector.

Hi Greg,

My dad has exactly the same rod , JW 9ft Mundoon, ironically enough I thought it was lost to a garbage tip in Newcastle somewhere after he passed away some 9 years ago as he lived with my sister in her place at Adamstown after we sold the family home.

My brother rang me on the weekend and told me that he had the rod and my dads home made tackle box and told me that dad always wanted me to have it but my sister never passed it on until just recently when she was cleaning out the house before selling up and gave it to my brother to give to me.

It will be a special moment when I see that tackle again as it it will bring back a lot of memories for me fishing with dad on Trial Bay beach at South West Rocks as a kid watching dad cast from beach using his trusty Mundoon hoping for that bream or flathead of a lifetime which never happened for dad but he had a lot of fun trying. I miss those times so very much and I look back at them as the place my passion for fishing came from not the flashy boat , expensive gear but from a man who did not have a lot but gave so much and for me where the saying " just one more cast " resignates with me so much as I would give anything just to stand with my dad on the beach and have just one more cast with him .

Cheers

The Skipper    

• Like 4

Thanks rebel 

I can’t wait to try it out ,I value going to a tackle shop and supporting the small shop owner you get good advice and in turn help keep them open

and skipper

i would give my eye teeth to have my dad alive to fish with ,I still have he’s old rods and can visualise him fishing so I know where your coming from