Light sport combo for Kingfish/salmon/dolphinfish/tuna on soft plastics

Miketheadventurer

Hey guys, 

Recently got a sizeable boat and can now venture out of the heads and to the fads.

Im looking at a combo around the 350-400 price point for chasing sport fish on soft plastics.

I'd like something lightish so i can get a good fight out of a 7-12kg kingfish/tuna/salmon whilst flicking soft plastics or metals.

Kind of your rock up to a boil up/Fads session.

My initial thoughts are a mid range Shimano reel around the 4000-5000 size, 20 lb braid and frankly no idea on the style of rod and length.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Mike,

Generally for the boat you want a little shorter for ease of handling but enough length to bang it out there.

I've been happy with stuff around the 7 foot as I also use the same gear shore based.

Shimano Snapper Raider 762 (7 foot six inches 2 piece) 5-8kg 15-45 lure weight $100 to $130

or Atomic ArrowZ Offshore Spin AAS-270H 2 Piece 7' 14-30 lb Spinning 14 to 30lb 10 - 50gm lure weight $130 - $150

Shimano Sedona or better in the 4000 size. Will handle about 270m of 15lb or probably a skinny 20lb. $90 to $99

I'd spool it all the way with braid. For the minimal dollar savings you don't want to be worrying about a joiner knot. You could also consider a jigging braid for better depth judgement when using the sounder.

Or if you want to spoil yourself look at the Shimano Stradics but as much as I love Shimano stay away from the CI4 series. They are lighter but I'm getting mixed feedback on these.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Mike,

Generally for the boat you want a little shorter for ease of handling but enough length to bang it out there.

I've been happy with stuff around the 7 foot as I also use the same gear shore based.

Shimano Snapper Raider 762 (7 foot six inches 2 piece) 5-8kg 15-45 lure weight $100 to $130

or Atomic ArrowZ Offshore Spin AAS-270H 2 Piece 7' 14-30 lb Spinning 14 to 30lb 10 - 50gm lure weight $130 - $150

Shimano Sedona or better in the 4000 size. Will handle about 270m of 15lb or probably a skinny 20lb. $90 to $99

I'd spool it all the way with braid. For the minimal dollar savings you don't want to be worrying about a joiner knot. You could also consider a jigging braid for better depth judgement when using the sounder.

Of you want to spoil yourself look at the Shimano Stradics but as much as I love Shimano stay away from the CI4 series. They are lighter but I'm getting mixed feedback on these.

Regards,

Derek

Thanks Derek!

Ill spend the extra money and get a Stradic with the Shimano rod. I’ve got a soft spot for Shimano gear as it’s served me well in the past. Thanks for the heads up on the cI4

Just now, Miketheadventurer said:

Thanks Derek!

Ill spend the extra money and get a Stradic with the Shimano rod. I’ve got a soft spot for Shimano gear as it’s served me well in the past. Thanks for the heads up on the cI4

Look specifically for the 762 5 to 8kg. They do a few rods in that series and there are slight spec differences. I've got one I've used for a very long time and still going.