Electric motor battery

Captainjack39

Hey guys! I just bought myself a 24lb watersnake kayak motor (the one that comes in the kit with the bracket) and I've installed it onto my dragon pro fisher 2.7. Ive removed one of the rear rod holders and installed the motor bracket in its place. The issue im having now is trying to find a battery to run it. I think it will need to be atleast 35ah and I need it to be as light as possible.. depending on the size i will either be sitting it in the back or i was thinking about installing it inside the centre of the  hull. Any help would be much appreciated! :) ( i will add a pic of the motor )

20200928_170842.jpg

If looking for light battery be careful and don't be talked into a lithium battery as Watersnake advise their motors are not compatable with them.  As your likely to flatten such a small battery fairly often I would only be considering a deap cycle battery as they can be run flat without damage.  As you already have extra weight at back consider mounting a fair way forward but don't tie down till you have experimented a bit.  Ron 

• Like 1

I’ve been using a liuthium battery on a watersnake for three years, lasts me all day and never ever had a problem, they are fantastic. If you’re worried then fit an in line fuse, I have and it’s never blown.

Search lifepo4 lithium batteries on eBay, I got a 40ah for around $400 - not cheap but you couldn’t pay me to lug around a 12-15kg battery in a kayak. This one is around 3-4kg.

I even ran the wires into the kayak with a plug so I can keep the weight centered on the yak and have the battery in the centre hatch, here’s what I did...

84F5E87B-BE3B-4DFE-827F-E42CD53D9CB0.jpeg

561A58CB-B5CC-4845-AEBC-FA7076679331.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a tip on electric motor use! It doesn't matter if you are operating in 1 or 5, as these motors use the same amount of battery power. The only way to use less power is to set up a  way of only using the motor in 1% increments which allows the motor to only draw the power it needs to operate! So if you are going to a spot use full throttle you will get there quicker and use the same power as using lowest setting and still have a lot of charge left.