Murray's Beach Boat Ramp (Jervis Bay)

YZ250

Location: Follow the signs to Murray's Beach inside Booderee national park, Jervis Bay.

Condition: Two concrete lanes in good condition. However they are small and bigger boats will tend to take up both lanes when launching.  This is not too problematic as the turning is also small and prevents multiple vehicles from trying to launch simultaneously.  

Parking/Facilities: Plenty of parking nearby, however you will be in competition with beach goers during summer who will park in the trailer parking area.  Toilets are located nearby and the ramp is surrounded by a breakwall and L shaped Jetty.  

Access to ocean: This ramp offers excellent access to Jervis Bay heads and the open ocean without having to navigate a bar.  The photos taken were at the absolute bottom of the tide and a 7m malibu launched easily at this time.  

Notes:  Be sure to check there is room to launch before driving down the short, one way track to the ramp.  On the day I launched two cars decided to park in the trailer turning bay and get out for some photos.  The breakwall itself is popular with day trippers and land based fisherman so keep this in mind if you suffer performance anxiety during launch as people will be watching you.

Murrays ramp 2.jpg

Murrays ramp 3.jpg

Murrays ramp.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Its timely bringing up this post now, as for those planning a trip and unaware, Murrays Beach ramp is about to be closed temporarily (2-3 months). 

The boardwalk alongside the access to the ramp from the carpark is being replaced.

Thanks Green Hornet. I can't understand why - it is in pretty good condition as it is and replacing the boards with grates isn't more than a week or two of work. The carpark is what needs work - more pothole than flat land and after a rain it is a mud pit.

Do you know when it is being shut?

• Like 1

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with the current boardwalk. 

The website just says February. Here is the link.

https://parksaustralia.gov.au/booderee/news/murrays-boardwalk-upgrades-to-start-february-2022/

FYI: The "pothole/car park" was originally excavated for the construction of a nuclear power station. The project was canned in the early 70's, when Billy McMahon became prime minister.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with the current boardwalk. 

The website just says February. Here is the link.

https://parksaustralia.gov.au/booderee/news/murrays-boardwalk-upgrades-to-start-february-2022/

FYI: The "pothole/car park" was originally excavated for the construction of a nuclear power station. The project was canned in the early 70's, when Billy McMahon became prime minister.

Thanks mate. Went there today and there’s a sign now saying it will be closed from the 2nd of February until I think it said April or May…can’t remember the reopening date. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Salvatore said:

Thanks mate. Went there today and there’s a sign now saying it will be closed from the 2nd of February until I think it said April or May…can’t remember the reopening date. 

Must be a fancy boardwalk if its going to take 3 months to construct!

272579009_10158663080282514_8814296118017221461_n.jpg

• Haha 1

Woollamia is your only option and with Murrays Beach closed, I imagine its going to be crowded,

If you're planning a trip, try to avoid the weekend they run the Huskisson triathlon, as they normally close down Woollamia Road to traffic. It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, Green Hornet said:

Must be a fancy boardwalk if its going to take 3 months to construct!

Well like any council they will have 6 guys working on it, 3 of then supervising, 2 people on lollie pop duty & 1 guy actually doing work 🤔😂

Still you would think they would go out of their way to try & keep a ramp in service especially if there are only a couple in the area but I guess that just takes to much effort 🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Well like any council they will have 6 guys working on it, 3 of then supervising, 2 people on lollie pop duty & 1 guy actually doing work 🤔😂

Still you would think they would go out of their way to try & keep a ramp in service especially if there are only a couple in the area but I guess that just takes to much effort 🙄

You're not wrong there. This national Park seems to have an endless supply of cash and they don't know what to spend it on.

I get the impression they are deliberately inconsiderate towards fishermen and encouraging them to go elsewhere, as we're not seen as ecofriendly.

Although they're not officially NSW, the current NSW fishing laws are enforced (fair enough). Recently they have introduced a new law stating that no invertebrate or other species may be gathered for bait purposes. You can't even catch a beachworm or pippi to have a throw at the whiting, which I feel is absolutely ridiculous.