Shore based light game combo

little fisho

Interested in spinning off the rocks with a slightly heavier setup than i have now, which is a shimano sienna 4000 paired with a 5-8kg 10ft rod. Trying to chase small kings without getting completely smoked. I prefer rods around 9-10ft and something i can cast all day without getting too tired. Budget is around 200 per piece, any help is appreciated thanks.

To have a setup that small and also one that is light and packs a punch you are going to need to go a bit more than 200 per peice. The Setup that I have which is similar to what you ask is a Daiwa TD sol iii 5000 compact on a custom 17lb rod. That setup is very very light which makes it easily fishable all day but the td sol is $389 and the rod was given to me but I was told was around 300 - 500 new. And I still get smoked on this setup. 

Everything is a compromise. Leader strength vs visibility. Weight vs strength. Price vs quality. Depending on what route you want to go I can get back to you with a better option. You can go Sw series of reels like the Shimano Spheros. Or compact reels like my Daiwa td sol iii. With my setup I personally go for lightness and finesse while using a lighter 15 -20lb leader so I can get more bites. The price is a bit higher so I still have a reasonable amount of quality. 

1 hour ago, James Clain said:

To have a setup that small and also one that is light and packs a punch you are going to need to go a bit more than 200 per peice. The Setup that I have which is similar to what you ask is a Daiwa TD sol iii 5000 compact on a custom 17lb rod. That setup is very very light which makes it easily fishable all day but the td sol is $389 and the rod was given to me but I was told was around 300 - 500 new. And I still get smoked on this setup. 

Everything is a compromise. Leader strength vs visibility. Weight vs strength. Price vs quality. Depending on what route you want to go I can get back to you with a better option. You can go Sw series of reels like the Shimano Spheros. Or compact reels like my Daiwa td sol iii. With my setup I personally go for lightness and finesse while using a lighter 15 -20lb leader so I can get more bites. The price is a bit higher so I still have a reasonable amount of quality. 

im mostly worried about the rod, shimano spheros sounds good to me, although a bit higher than my initial budget but i can make do. do you have any stiff rod suggestions?

Regarding the rod, jump onto the Penn website and have a look at what they have to offer.

In particular, there's a 9'6" Prevail II and a 10' Allegiance that fit your specs and price point.

Although I don't own one personally, I've heard nothing but praise for these rods.

While you're there make sure you check out their reels too. They're good performers, tough as nails and good value for money.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

Don't think the rod is overly important as long as it has the strength to cast the sinker and bait. Very few of us will ever put more than 15 lb of drag pressure through a beach outfit, so that puts almost any reel with 9 kg + drag setting or above in the range. Given its extremely hard to fish heavy drags through beach gear, then heavy line is simply overkill that can't be utilised. I prefer going with more light line than less heavy stuff as this gives you more time to turn and wear fish down. 300m of 20lb braid will stop most things I encounter, however I do have a couple of reels with 400m of 30lb for my son who seems to enjoy pulling big rays and bronze whalers in.

I have one rod that was bellow $60 which has not failed ( in fact none of my beach rods ever have ) . The $60 Chinese cheaply has landed numerous species from sharks, rays and other hefty fish, its one of those rods you don't mind lending out to people. 

As far as a decent budget reel, then the penn battle 2 is bellow $100 at many places, though stocks are low since the mk3 came out. The battle has a pretty solid drag for such a low cost reel and they hold more line than stated on the box, as they base their capacity on a spool not filled to the lip.

5 hours ago, Houdini said:

Good info as always @JonD but missed the vital info of "fishing lures off the rocks for kingfish".

Light line is dancing with the devil.

Id still be looking at maybe a penn slammer from the rocks, as for light line, my daughter lands more of the bigger kings on the go gently style than I have trying to stop them in their tracks. In saying that she just made claim to a Jigging master GT monster 8ft rod and bought herself a Daiwa Catalina 5000 ( pe3 Shimano ocea braid ) for big kings from the rocks and stickbaiting tuna from the boat.