First time flattie at 7 Mile Beach

Yon

Brought my rock fishing gear with us for a short holiday in Gerroa, but the wind was howling all day and I don’t feel very safe with nobody about. 
so instead, I walked the beach with my kids looking for a few good holes to throw a metal into. 

As I waded in to ankle depth I found myself surrounded by pipis, so we smashed a couple together as bait and I quickly swapped the metal for a running sinker rig. 

Casted into the longshore trough that seems to run the length of the beach  and gave my daughter the rod while I went to pick up a few more pipis. 2 minutes later she pulled in her first legal flathead! 

The 20lb braid and 30lb leader may have been a bit of overkill but hey, she landed her dinner with bait she’d gathered herself and was damn happy about it. 
Kept trying for an hour after that for no return, at which point we were both shivering and decided to call it for the day. 
I think we’re going to have to return in the summer. Such a magic spot. 

• Like 10

If the weather calms down, which I don't think it will this week, go to black head point and throw a few metals, lures, floated baits, free fall baits about the point. Plenty of varieties of fish there and good squid spot also. 

16 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

If the weather calms down, which I don't think it will this week, go to black head point and throw a few metals, lures, floated baits, free fall baits about the point. Plenty of varieties of fish there and good squid spot also. 

Thanks! I’ll have to try that next time as we are on the way home. Looked like a fantastic spot when I scouted the headland. 

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

A great catch and good eating Yon. Good to see Pippis regenerating at Gerroa

Thanks Pickles. Had the pipis disappeared for a while? I’ve read that people used to take them by the bucket full but that fisheries are strictly enforcing the 50M rule now. 

20 hours ago, Yon said:

Thanks Pickles. Had the pipis disappeared for a while? I’ve read that people used to take them by the bucket full but that fisheries are strictly enforcing the 50M rule now. 

Pippies were decemated in the 90's, peeps were digging them up with shovels and hauling home drum fulls 😱

So if you find a patch you're pretty much guaranteed to find fish. Stir the sand up to loosen the pippies so they get taken out into the surf which acts as a burley. Crush one and slide a hook in and let it drift out and fingers cross a juicy fat bream takes the easy meal over the uncrushed pippies 👍

• Thanks 1