Sydney Harbour Salmon Action

Miketheadventurer

Hey guys, 

Getting right into Fishraider as I recently bought a good sized boat as seen in the photo below. I get out a few times a week so look out for some more detailed fishing reports for Sydney harbour in the future.

Headed out last Saturday on the long weekend, fair busy with all the boats as you'd expect.

Area Fished: Started off heading out towards the heads, managed to get stuck into a massive school of salmon boiling up just off Watson's bay Navy base. Landed about 6 in quick succession. Took the girlfriend out and she caught her fish fish. Salmon quickly moved and popped up around Quarantine station. As the day went on they become more and more finicky. Ive had great success these last few days starts at the heads and working my way back towards shark island using the birds as guides. 

Time I left and returned: Headed out around 9am, bit of a late start but the wind picked up quite a bit so headed back around 12.

Style of fishing I was doing: Flicking a combination of small metal lures, think 15g size either straight silver or blue baitfish. Alternated between metals and 10g jig head on soft plastics with brown and white jerk shad gulp. 

Type of gear I was using: Both of us mostly using Sienna's with 6lb braid as its a ton of fun on light gear. Switched to 4000 Stradic on a 7ft Shimano Raider to put the heat on them a bit. Had a bit of a flick with a sizeable squidgie on the Shimano SLX but the salmon werent having a bar of it.

Boat is a 6m Centre Console with 200ltr underfloor fuel tank (range is about 280-300kms) and a 175HP engine. Looking forward to organising some great trips around Sydney with fellow Fishraiders.

IMG_3220.JPG

16d1d3ea-2275-41c0-81e0-0a61bc05d29b.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_1178.HEIC

• Like 9

Good report. I was out last Tuesday and as I headed back in from Manly towards North Head I saw a huge school of salmon making the water boil, would have been nearly 100 foot across the school. Unfortunately I had nothing with me to throw at them so drove past and just enjoyed watching the action.
Next time I go out I will be sure to have alight outfit with a small lure ready to go. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...