One Flathead One Bream, never coming back here again.

Azza_Fishing

Yesterday, me and a mate decided to go for a fish around Sydney Harbour. We set out on the bus at around 10:15am and arriving in the city at 10:50am. We walked for about 20 minutes before settling down at the wharf next to the Opera House (Man'O'War Steps). We were there for about 2 hours but all we caught were a couple of leather jackets and a pigmy snapper. We then decided to walk along the stone wall and fish along the sides there as it looked promising as it was shallow and had a sandy bottom, so I thought it would be good for flathead. Me and my mate then continued working our way along the stone wall, going through the Botanical Gardens. 

Just giving a heads up, when we walked through the Botanical Gardens gate, we looked at the signs saying what you can and can't do, and there was none saying that we couldn't fish, so we walked right in. We continued to work our way around the cove, eventually reaching the centre of the cove. Deciding that there was nothing taking my Daiwa Double Clutch, I decided to change tactics and switch to an ecogear ZX35 shrimp blade. I guess my instincts were right. On the second cast of the ecogear, I landed me-self a 55cm flattie. This is the biggest flattie I have caught and surely is my PB. I decided to keep the guy, as I haven't had flathead in a long time and wanted some crumbed flattie fillets for dinner. A quick slice through the spine, killed it instantly. Luckily I had decided to bring my esky with me. I quickly ran to the nearest restaurant and asked them for ice, which they were kind enough to give. This kept my flattie nice and fresh. 

A little while later, I lost my lure to snag, which got me pretty upset, as I had just bought it😢. I now realised that the fish were into small vibes, so I chucked on a Tackle Tactics Switchblade vibe. We continued to fish along the cove, reaching the centre of the area. Probably my 35th or 40th cast on the switchblade, I got a massive strike which caught me by surprise. I had to reel in a feisty bugga for about 3 minutes without knowing what it was. I was then sooo stoked when I saw a glimmer of silver. This had to be a massive bream. As I pulled him out, he was massive. Quickly placing him on the measuring mat, he was just 35cm. What a bream, 😄😄. Its been a while since I've hooked up to one that big. Since I already had a good sized flattie in the bag, I decided to release the little bugga. I reckon I caught this breambo at around 3:45pm. and the Flattie and around 3:00pm.

Me and my mate probably fished for about another 1 and a half hours, and in that time, my mate caught another pigmy snapper. As we continued to fish we were then approached by the Botanical Gardens Ranger. He got out of his car and talked to us saying that we couldn't fish here. I explained to him that we weren't fishing inside the Botanical Gardens, but we were on the garden walkway, fishing out towards to open water. Still, we couldn't really argue with him, as he was doing his job, and we didn't want to waste his time. We just apologised and headed back, out of the park. I understand that what the ranger said was understandable, but I still don't believe we weren't allowed to fish there. So later on just to double check, without my gear, I walked to each side of the gates and still, there were no signs saying, we couldn't fish here. Anyway, I have learnt my lesson, and I won't go back there again. I am writing and posting this, not as a recommendation to go there, but just as a warning, so other fishraiders know that you will be asked to leave from that area. I am giving you the heads up that you should not fish there. 

After I came back home I sent an email to the Botanical Gardens, confirming whether or not we are allowed to fish there. If we are allowed to fish there then that will be great and it will be a great place for other fishraiders to go, if they are land-based fishers. If not, this will be a lesson learnt and a place scratched off the list to fish. So right now I am waiting for a reply, and will inform everyone of the results. Based on the whole day me and my mate encountered, we both had an enjoyable time, I got some fresh fish for dinner, and we both learnt a really important and key lesson when it comes to gardens and fishing. 

1024309067_ScreenShot2020-10-06at6_53_41pm.png.47fb48c7d235f5566d98a68706e96c84.png817105993_ScreenShot2020-10-06at6_56_29pm.thumb.png.cf1449eff399d6db5651a05ddd6d740a.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Azza_Fishing said:

Yesterday, me and a mate decided to go for a fish around Sydney Harbour. We set out on the bus at around 10:15am and arriving in the city at 10:50am. We walked for about 20 minutes before settling down at the wharf next to the Opera House (Man'O'War Steps). We were there for about 2 hours but all we caught were a couple of leather jackets and a pigmy snapper. We then decided to walk along the stone wall and fish along the sides there as it looked promising as it was shallow and had a sandy bottom, so I thought it would be good for flathead. Me and my mate then continued working our way along the stone wall, going through the Botanical Gardens. 

Just giving a heads up, when we walked through the Botanical Gardens gate, we looked at the signs saying what you can and can't do, and there was none saying that we couldn't fish, so we walked right in. We continued to work our way around the cove, eventually reaching the centre of the cove. Deciding that there was nothing taking my Daiwa Double Clutch, I decided to change tactics and switch to an ecogear ZX35 shrimp blade. I guess my instincts were right. On the second cast of the ecogear, I landed me-self a 55cm flattie. This is the biggest flattie I have caught and surely is my PB. I decided to keep the guy, as I haven't had flathead in a long time and wanted some crumbed flattie fillets for dinner. A quick slice through the spine, killed it instantly. Luckily I had decided to bring my esky with me. I quickly ran to the nearest restaurant and asked them for ice, which they were kind enough to give. This kept my flattie nice and fresh. 

A little while later, I lost my lure to snag, which got me pretty upset, as I had just bought it😢. I now realised that the fish were into small vibes, so I chucked on a Tackle Tactics Switchblade vibe. We continued to fish along the cove, reaching the centre of the area. Probably my 35th or 40th cast on the switchblade, I got a massive strike which caught me by surprise. I had to reel in a feisty bugga for about 3 minutes without knowing what it was. I was then sooo stoked when I saw a glimmer of silver. This had to be a massive bream. As I pulled him out, he was massive. Quickly placing him on the measuring mat, he was just 35cm. What a bream, 😄😄. Its been a while since I've hooked up to one that big. Since I already had a good sized flattie in the bag, I decided to release the little bugga. I reckon I caught this breambo at around 3:45pm. and the Flattie and around 3:00pm.

Me and my mate probably fished for about another 1 and a half hours, and in that time, my mate caught another pigmy snapper. As we continued to fish we were then approached by the Botanical Gardens Ranger. He got out of his car and talked to us saying that we couldn't fish here. I explained to him that we weren't fishing inside the Botanical Gardens, but we were on the garden walkway, fishing out towards to open water. Still, we couldn't really argue with him, as he was doing his job, and we didn't want to waste his time. We just apologised and headed back, out of the park. I understand that what the ranger said was understandable, but I still don't believe we weren't allowed to fish there. So later on just to double check, without my gear, I walked to each side of the gates and still, there were no signs saying, we couldn't fish here. Anyway, I have learnt my lesson, and I won't go back there again. I am writing and posting this, not as a recommendation to go there, but just as a warning, so other fishraiders know that you will be asked to leave from that area. I am giving you the heads up that you should not fish there. 

After I came back home I sent an email to the Botanical Gardens, confirming whether or not we are allowed to fish there. If we are allowed to fish there then that will be great and it will be a great place for other fishraiders to go, if they are land-based fishers. If not, this will be a lesson learnt and a place scratched off the list to fish. So right now I am waiting for a reply, and will inform everyone of the results. Based on the whole day me and my mate encountered, we both had an enjoyable time, I got some fresh fish for dinner, and we both learnt a really important and key lesson when it comes to gardens and fishing. 

1024309067_ScreenShot2020-10-06at6_53_41pm.png.47fb48c7d235f5566d98a68706e96c84.png817105993_ScreenShot2020-10-06at6_56_29pm.thumb.png.cf1449eff399d6db5651a05ddd6d740a.png

they must have changed  the rules ,  we used to be able ot fish there  , it will be interesting to see what the reply will be, sometimes minicops can be  full of it .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, leonardgid said:

they must have changed  the rules ,  we used to be able ot fish there  , it will be interesting to see what the reply will be, sometimes minicops can be  full of it .

Yeah, when we got asked to leave one of the other rangers came up on us like a full on navy seal. He creeped up in his car behind us, parked it in the bush and came down to talk to us. As he approached us he literally had a body cam and recorded everything we said he will send this tape before a court. 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/Visit/Plan-your-visit/Regulations

It is never a good idea to challenge Park Rangers. Why do you think he was directing you to not fish there? 

He didn't really give a reason, he just said that we were not allowed to fish there, because we were on the Botanical Gardens property, however, we were fishing out into the cove. I am assuming the garden doesn't own the water and the cove. 

7 minutes ago, Azza_Fishing said:

He didn't really give a reason, he just said that we were not allowed to fish there, because we were on the Botanical Gardens property, however, we were fishing out into the cove. I am assuming the garden doesn't own the water and the cove. 

But your still partaking in the activity on "trust" land!

The reason they impliment any of these restrictions to said activities is for public safety.

You can agree to disagree but in the end the your not going to win, in saying that I believe such restrictions should be easily visible & displayed at all entry points as a "condition of entry".

• Like 1

Nice couple of fish there Azza, congratulations mate.

I would "ASSUME" and i'm only assuming, it may be about safety to other park users when people are casting out when fishing. they may hook someone walking past behind.

Not all people are considerate to others.

Down on the Parramatta at Newington/Silverwater on the Park side is the same and I think this may be reason.

Happy to be corrected.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Azza_Fishing said:

Don’t assume. 
If you read that link I sent you under recreational activities there is a reference to fishing rods and casting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Azza_Fishing what was the response to your email? 

They replied stating that we couldn't fish inside the botanical gardens, even if it casting out to darling harbour. The only place they said we could fish was outside the botanical garden gates. But if we are found to be irresponsible when casting and not looking at our surroundings the rangers have the authority to tell us to leave. 

Now I know, not to come here again, and at least now, I know whether or not we were allowed to fish there, and we're not allowed. 

Cheers 

Azza_Fishing

9 hours ago, Jaymanner said:

Does Mrs Macquarie chair/point count as the botanical gardens?

The rangers said that anywhere within the gates of the gardens counts as property of the Royal Botanical Gardens. They said that fishing is allowed outside and past the gates. Looking at where Mrs Macquarie chair/point is I am ASSUMING that it doesn't count as part of the Botanical gardens.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, Blackfish said:

Nice couple of fish there Azza, congratulations mate.

I would "ASSUME" and i'm only assuming, it may be about safety to other park users when people are casting out when fishing. they may hook someone walking past behind.

Not all people are considerate to others.

Down on the Parramatta at Newington/Silverwater on the Park side is the same and I think this may be reason.

Happy to be corrected.

You can’t fish inside homebush bay or any of the creeks that run into the river on the south side - this is a regulation implemented by the government.

There is also  ban on fishing anywhere inside the Olympic precinct that is a council regulation but as far as i know you can fish the southern shore from the mouth of homebush bay up stream . The mob that run that precinct even have a dedicated email address so people can dob in a fisho and they call the rangers to issue them with a fine .
Easiest way is to give that whole section a miss and fish the northern shore .

I have seen some YouTube videos where the security on cockatoo island has tried to move on someone fishing from a boat - stating it is government property but iirc it now comes under national parks so you can fish around it now .

On 10/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, Azza_Fishing said:

The rangers said that anywhere within the gates of the gardens counts as property of the Royal Botanical Gardens. They said that fishing is allowed outside and past the gates. Looking at where Mrs Macquarie chair/point is I am ASSUMING that it doesn't count as part of the Botanical gardens.

At least he didn’t fine you !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

I have seen some YouTube videos where the security on cockatoo island has tried to move on someone fishing from a boat - stating it is government property but iirc it now comes under national parks so you can fish around it now .

Yep, has happened to me but that was a couple of years ago.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:35 AM, Jaymanner said:

Does Mrs Macquarie chair/point count as the botanical gardens?

I've run through the gardens and around Mrs Macquarie's Chair for years, there are guys fishing Mrs Macquarie's Point all the time. Never seen them landing anything though.

I think enough has been said on this subject. Always obey the rules and regs anywhere you fish including DPI and Maritime guidelines

Here again is the link to the Botanical Gardens. It is about safety and protection of the lands and it mentions casting and use of fishing rods. It also talks about disturbing animal habitats or destroy, capture, injure or interfere with any animal   This is under a Trust. 

https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/Visit/Plan-your-visit/Regulations

From the regulations  "A person does not commit an offence merely because the person fishes in the waters of Sydney Harbour from any part of the Domain where fishing is permitted"

It seems unclear on the signage perhaps. I have sent an email to the Trust Authority and will let you know the official outcome.

• Thanks 2

Hi Donna

Thank you for your email.

Under Part 5, clause 22 of the regulations governing The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, fishing is not permitted in or from the Garden.  More information canbe found here.

However, you are permitted to fish in Farm Cove from the Domain area, outside the gates of the Garden.  As this is on Trust lands, you will be required to fish in a safe manner, observing the passage of other users of the land.  If at any time this is deemed as unsafe, Rangers may ask you to leave the site.

There are many rules and regulations governing the Garden, and we try to balance signage whilst maintaining green space and vistas.

Thank you again for your time in contacting us.

Kind regards

Trevor Heaslip

Head, Ranger Services

Botanic Gardens & Centennial Parklands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2