Greg Foster

Hi all

i need a replacement tank

23 litre old metal one
the old one

image.thumb.jpeg.8841bfc4bdebe499ef1873f6afcfba8d.jpeg

Found a nice stainless one

but wife won’t spend $400 🤯
the old one only needs a new cap as the breather valve has been painted over and won’t relieve pressure 
I don’t want a smaller tank as they are half the capacity and I like having more than less

I have heard that you can tighten the cap Halfway instead of full lock ,which would Let the fumes out but wife doesn’t like the idea of a loose cap

Any idea were I can get a used cap to fit the old tank

thanks

greg

E76693B8-FF1D-4F67-9BBF-B4FDC25C9596.jpeg

I would not recommend that. You do not want fuel fumes building up. That is an accident waiting to happen. 
As Noel said they are designed to let air in and no fumes out. 
Have you tried to clear the paint that’s blocking the breather. Maybe wire brush and soak the cap in acetone if you can’t find a replacement?

Also Maybe take the old cap to auto spares shops they often have aftermarket variants. 
cheers Zoran 

I have 2 or 3 of those old tanks down in one of the sheds, I'll have a look 6tomorrow and see IF they still have caps and if they are serviceable. If so you will need to PM me your address and I will post you 1 up.

Frank

• Like 2

It's very hard to see in the pictures, but, is that just a simple screw in the middle of the cap? some vented only when the fuel line was connected at the connection point, not by unscrewing the cap, the later model metal tanks had the auto vent set up.

Hi Noel

The middle of the cap doesn’t seem to move or budge but is joined to the piece of metal on the underside of the cap in the picture a few photos up.
The  whole tank was painted silver when I got the boat Including the cap and fuel hose connection

Another query should the hose be rock hard that connects tank to engine or is that just age and if it vents when fuel line connection is on what would I look for ?

Hi zoran

this problem was first trip after full service 

boat in water started ok

found a fishing spot,wife wanted to move 5 minutes later

motor wouldn’t start like it was starving of fuel continued fishing for an hour or so then tried to start it again All good trundled back to the boat ramp

motor was surging at about 3 knots in a low speed zone on way back

also leg was hot to touch when lifting and locking in place

took straight back to mechanic on way home
leg heat was thermostat issue all fixed fuel was tank wasn’t venting all painted over

mechanic suggested cracking cap on tank when going on water - Wife not agreeable to this as well as me
looked at replacing tank 23 litre stainless steel - me yes wife no

or fixing existing tank Compromise 

I looked on my tank it is a model 6
looked on google and I think it must be an auto vent 

the fuel line is also bent in a few circles from where it sat on top of tank
I presume the fuel line is old not being flexible and will replace this when my tank issue is sorted out

greg

Hi Greg, I seem to recall you may have posted this problem previously. Strange that the mech had to relook at the thermostat after just having done a full service ... that should be part of any full service! 

Ok from what you describe both the tank and fuel line are pretty old. If the mechanic concluded the surging was from the motor starving for fuel, then the line and fuel bulb could be contributing to the problem eg there could be debris in the line from the inner liner degradation, the bulb could be collapsing or the check valve getting stuck.  I'd replace all that, you are going to have to do it anyway. 

I'd then try and borrow a "good" tank from someone. Get back on the water start with  the borrowed tank and confirm your motor runs / restarts without issues. If everything works ok, you have confirmed the fuel line, bulb and the motor are all ok.

Then swap to your old tank and repeat the test. If everything works, the issue was the fuel line/bulb. If its still surging failing to start, then open the fuel cap half way and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, then its the cap for sure.

Cheers Zoran

BTW - I just had a quick google, a new plastic 23L tank is like $50-80 and readily available in all the usual outdoor retailers.

Edited by zmk1962

Is this the original tank that came with the motor? the ones that are vented by connecting the fuel line use a slightly different fitting (if I remember correctly) if you can borrow another tank, try to borrow the fuel line too.

Thanks anyway frank

my wife found another near new omg tank on Facebook so we got it and delivered for $20

just a quick question for this

i am getting new tubing,bulb and attachments at whitworths

do I take the old bayonet fitting on the tank that’s screwed in off to clean or get some acetone on a brush to clean it all up

(Presume auto vent is built in here)