Under-Mount Game Reel

Little_Flatty

Hi raiders,

I've been enjoying Battlefish on Netflix which details the trials and tribulations of a fleet of tuna boats in the Pacific North-Western states of the US.

One of the curiosities I've noticed is an under-mounted game reel which looks for all the world like an overhead game reel but it is used under the rod. Their winding is in the correct direction, so it's not like they are using it upside down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXgdltytFDw6nXn6gGVIs

Anyone know anything about these? I'm just intrigued!

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi raiders,

I've been enjoying Battlefish on Netflix which details the trials and tribulations of a fleet of tuna boats in the Pacific North-Western states of the US.

One of the curiosities I've noticed is an under-mounted game reel which looks for all the world like an overhead game reel but it is used under the rod. Their winding is in the correct direction, so it's not like they are using it upside down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXgdltytFDw6nXn6gGVIs

Anyone know anything about these? I'm just intrigued!

It's just a standard RH Penn Senator mounted under the rod but turned so the spool-face that would have pointed to the rod runners now faces the butt of the rod.

Look at how the line winds onto the spool in the picture - the line is near to the rod - normally it winds onto the top of the spool when mounted in the o'head position. Also the silver clutch release lever normally points to the rod runners, its now pointing to the butt.

Cheers Zoran

22 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

It's just a standard RH Penn Senator mounted under the rod but turned so the spool-face that would have pointed to the rod runners now faces the butt of the rod.

Look at how the line winds onto the spool in the picture - the line is near to the rod - normally it winds onto the top of the spool when mounted in the o'head position. Also the silver clutch release lever normally points to the rod runners, its now pointing to the butt.

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran,

That's very interesting. Is there any reason why they might do this?

Edit: I think I just realised the reason...maybe it's because it's a left hand reel and they wanted to wind right handed?

Mike

Edited by Little_Flatty

No it’s a RH - right hand reel. Just back to front and upside down. 
Why?  Who knows. 
Maybe the filmed the show for us down under ... and thought doing  this was a tribute 😂

or maybe they’re just being y*nks ... yes I spelled it with a y not w!

cheers Z

• Haha 1

So, after discovering today that we've had Netflix for the last 18 months (LOL), I watched the first episode of Battlefish today and got to watch the rod and reel in action.

I'd say that considering the guy is skulldragging 10kg plus albacore from a boat travelling at trolling speed and not wearing a gimball belt, that the underslung method would help stop the rod wanting to roll/wobble in his hands. Also, the fact that there was no pump and wind, just flatout cranking shows how tough those old Penn Senators are. 

I also noticed on that smaller, faster boat they had a couple of rods with spiral wrapped guides. So there must be something in the underslung principle that benefits them.

So at the end of the day, this guy needs an Alvey haha. 

Edited by Green Hornet