Offshore flathead lures

Straya

Hey,

Trying to catch Bluespot flathead offshore in about 30-60m of water whilst drifting out from Broken Bay. I am having trouble finding any resources on lures to use for this depth. Lots of the information im reading is for shallow duskys. Has anyone got any lure weight and recommendations for Sydney blue spot flathead. I just want to know what kind of weighted jig heads with soft plastics to use and if there are any heavy lures to get down to 50m efficiently. 

G'day Straya, I would look at those larger articulated jig heads for that depth. At that depth the only lures I use are on paternoster rigs. You can use a jig as a weight instead of a sinker which can account for a few fish, I often substitute a plastic on an appropriate hook on one dropper. The "snapper snatchers also work with a jig as a weight. Have also caught flatties with just micro jigs up to 50m as well as snapper, pearlies, Sargo's etc. Its a bit of a wait to get to the bottom. Hope that helps.

Just use a heavy (but smallish) lures as a sinker along with a baited hook, often the lure catches more than the bait, I just use cheap fish imitation metal lures, they work a treat and cost next to nothing.

12 hours ago, Straya said:

Hey,

Trying to catch Bluespot flathead offshore in about 30-60m of water whilst drifting out from Broken Bay. I am having trouble finding any resources on lures to use for this depth. Lots of the information im reading is for shallow duskys. Has anyone got any lure weight and recommendations for Sydney blue spot flathead. I just want to know what kind of weighted jig heads with soft plastics to use and if there are any heavy lures to get down to 50m efficiently. 

Paternoster rig, 10cm jerk shad or minnow on top hook, sinker jig attached to snapper lead. As per this post:

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Straya said:

Hey,

As @zmk1962 has already suggested - the best way to fish offshore for flathead is paternoster rig with plastics on two droppers. traditional lures on a jighead are not ideal for bottom bashing in 60m.

In my experience, the offshore flatties, when they are there, are ravenous. They do not really care what color/size the lure is (within reason).

I would focus most of your energy on finding them. From there the catching part is relatively easy.

And for what its worth - i would mix it up - try one dropper with a jig and another with a bait. Change over based on what the flatties are liking more on the day.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

I use a bottom ship jig on the bottom of a paternoster rig instead of a snapper lead, then two baited hooks above that. Sometimes I use a plastic on one hook rather than bait - a jig hook with no head seems to work best. Often get triple hook ups.