3 foot croc

hookerbruce

We spent the second week of the school holidays at South West Rocks with 3 of our grand children. Fished 6 days in a row between 3 and 5 hours.

This was the ultimate trophy fish of the trip and will be remembered by my grandson for the rest of his life. Even though we encouraged him to release the fish he insisted on keeping it, he even pointed out by the rules he is allowed to keep 2 fish over 70cm. He has agreed he will not be keeping another large flathead this year. We  were fishing one of the sandflats in the river (with the nor easter  blowing very fresh) I was about 80 m away fishing with live herring 1 grandson was in the boat the younger one in the water almost up to his waist flicking small baits just past the drop off. I saw he had a fish on then after a couple of minutes his brother got out of the boat with the landing net so I started fishing my way back to the boat no need to hurry then they started shouting about monsters then I worked out it was a monster flathead and headed for the boat. Older grandson decided he'd better get a bigger net. I arrived just in time to take over netting duties and after another couple of anxious minutes going under the boat and under the anchor the fish was in the net. Walked the fish back to the boat and lifted it in took a quick photo then discussed how it should go back, during this short time it never moved and maybe it would not have released well anyway.

Fish was 93 cm weighed in at 5.2 kg on Certified Scales, caught on 2 kg platypus pre test on a 2500 sedona reel on a light 2-4 kg rod. Bait was a small piece of herring fillet on a no. 2 hook and a short 15lb trace. It appears it will be a State and a National sportfishing record for a sub junior.

Fishing in general was a little quiet flathead were mainly in 40-55cm range usually kept about 4 a day released more then we kept, up to half a doz bream and whiting each day and a few longtom. The fishing will improve as the water warms up a bit. First day fisheries check, second day jetski waterways check and third day the big maritime boat checked us. Not a lot of boats out on the river so I guess thats why we were so popular.

20201008_110244_resized.jpg

20201008_175541_resized.jpg

• Like 19

Good work again Bruce. A big flattie for the young bloke.

You are doing much better up there than down here at the moment, though with school hols over, the number of kids in tinnies should be less.

Last Friday, the water temp at Wanda Beach was 16 degrees so a bit cool for the fish.

Thankyou everyone for your replies and comments.

The fish has now been cut up and distributed thru the family so everyone can have a taste. We had it for tea tonight, my wife didn't know what fish she was eating and commented how nice it was. I cut it up into pieces the shape of flathead tails and it did turn out good. Grandson had a smile on his face all weekend. Grandsons read all the fishraider reports on their tablets thru their fathers login so follow what is happening.

Thanks          Bruce

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Drought Breaker said:

Great fish young fella congrats. Think your only allowed 1 over 70?

100% only allowed 1 over 70cm . It is very rare for us to keep 1 over 65 cm. We would have released 5 over 80 in the last year plus plenty in the 65 - 80 cm range. 90 % of our flathead are caught in less than a metre of water.

He is very proud of his capture and that he caught it all on his own except for me netting it.

Bruce

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 3:14 PM, hookerbruce said:

100% only allowed 1 over 70cm . It is very rare for us to keep 1 over 65 cm. We would have released 5 over 80 in the last year plus plenty in the 65 - 80 cm range. 90 % of our flathead are caught in less than a metre of water.

He is very proud of his capture and that he caught it all on his own except for me netting it.

Bruce

hope he catches many more mate.