Couldn’t buy a bream if I tried

nutsaboutfishing

I thought with the weather warming up I might start chasing some bream on plastics. Got to  Glades Bay about 2 hours before the high. First cast into the drain I feel some resistance, it’’s gotta be a snag right? After all when was the last time I caught a fish first cast? Never. Then the snag starts to fight. Soon I’ve got a little flattie about 25 cm didn’t bother measuring.

Cast into the drain again. Definitely a snag this time after all have I ever gotten two with the first two casts? Again the snag starts to fight. Pretty soon it’s two small flatties from the first two casts. For a moment I considered calling it quits with a 100% strike rate!! But I really wanted a bream.

Kept casting another couple of hours. Got three more flatties largest two going 47 and 50cm. Learning how to fish 6lb leader better and getting a better feel for the amount of drag needed. 

in the end I probably wouldn’t have traded either of the big flatties for a bream, but the  smaller ones??

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 7

A couple of lizards is better than nothing at all !

I just watched a video on YouTube by Windsor bait and tackle and he pulled a few bream out of the canal around iron cove yesterday  and got busted off by a big bream so they are around .

One thing he keeps mentioning is the schools of mullet and he follows them along fishing under them . If the canal drains right out at low tide fishing the last quarter of the run out where it drains into the bay would be a good technique for flathead and jewies - sooner or later anything swimming in that canal has to come out and the predators will be there waiting for them !

On 10/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, XD351 said:

A couple of lizards is better than nothing at all !

I just watched a video on YouTube by Windsor bait and tackle and he pulled a few bream out of the canal around iron cove yesterday  and got busted off by a big bream so they are around .

One thing he keeps mentioning is the schools of mullet and he follows them along fishing under them . If the canal drains right out at low tide fishing the last quarter of the run out where it drains into the bay would be a good technique for flathead and jewies - sooner or later anything swimming in that canal has to come out and the predators will be there waiting for them !

Just watched them as well. Might hit there area up on Friday. Thanks for letting me know