Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out with a mate in his boat about 4pm. In the distance there were fish jumping like mad, looked like tuna until we closed the distance. Dolphins and more dolphins.

Hit the brakes and started a drift. 2 salmon turned up at the back of the boat and would not leave, also would not take a lure or any bait or burley thrown at them. They looked very agitated so I assume the dolphins had been giving the salmon schools a flogging.

3 drifts produced the flatties, the biggest at 41cm, plus the usual spikies.

A bit before sundown, we decided to head in near the bombie, anchored and dropped over a bit of burley. I was bouncing half a pillie just off the bottom, then the reddie hit with a bang and took some line before coming on board. 53cm.

Kept up the burley and pike after pike took every bait. Nothing else at all so headed home on dark.

fish.jpeg.269_files.jpg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Well i guess that makes up for your (half) donut the other day Yowie!

Some great eating fish there and good size to that red.

I was happy with the flatties for a feed, even happier with the reddie. The first run took a fair bit of line, I was thinking maybe kingie but hoping reddie, and eventually saw red colour at the boat.

47 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Top stuff Yowie, you've had some good luck on the snapper over the last period of time, another cracker of a fish that one.

Rich

Thank you. While the legal ones have been a bit scarce up river this year, I've pulled out a 47 and a 55 cm ones to make up for it.

3 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice red. Considering fishing pressure and easy access from the river it is surprising how many decent reds still come from the bommie.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Not too much swell, so we anchored in about 40 feet of water. The burley just attracted pike after pike, so gave up.

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

Flaty bash 

Happy with the reddie. My mate was happy with his flatty fillets, besides, I wanted to show the grandkids the reddie. The 3 year old said, that is an enormous fish. His best fish so far is a 33cm bream.

• Like 1