Jump to content

How to get rid of salt "stains" INSIDE aluminium boat?


Recommended Posts

Hi guys, i have an aluminium boat (Stabicraft) thats is almost 2 years old. Ive noticed what i can only describe as salt "stains" on the inside (ill upload a photo when i can) through out the inside - almost like bits of salt spray or small splashes that i likely failed to wipe of along time ago. BTW, my cleaning regime does not involves spray everything inside as i have lots of gear in the various storage areas, in case the question is asked. I instead wipe down the surface areas.

 

Im wondering how you all deal with this - id like to spend some time to get rid of it before it gets worse. I was thinking maybe sanding and then polishing with aluminum polish, then some sort of thing protecting coating (wipe down with INOX lanolin?)

 

cheers!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be good to see your photo but my thought is when you stated you don't like to spray your your internal areas it does have to be treated differently to say a painted surface which I think is a lot easier to deal with.

Not sure of the answer but continuous salt spray exposure uncleaned from not hosing down is probably what's done the damage?

Maybe just a simple coat of silicone spray will help?

I think if it was me I would want to be periodically still spraying down the inside with a salt dispersion agent like saltaway then rince of.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, some good input. Do you guys spray everything down after each outing? Gunnels / storage - not too bad as I could take stuff out if need be, but I'm worried about the dash, the areas near the isolation switch stuff with wires!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fab1 has an unpainted ally boat that looks shiny new in every photo he has put up ... maybe he can pitch in or you can PM him.

Cheers Zoran

PS - if you search the forums there are other entries discussing this ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, anthman said:

Hi all, here is what I'm talking about

IMG-20201016-WA0026.jpg

Are those marks etched in or do they go away when brushed or washed down?

Link to post
Share on other sites

try washing it with a solution of vinegar, then painting it with an etch paint.

Painting with a decent paint then also stops the little corrosion points you get from dropping sinkers, hooks, swivels, alfoil etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

We ended up using 50/50 vinegar and water sprayed, wait a minute, wipe with kitchen sponge/scourer (found the scourer quite abrasvive - it's the dark green one, not metal wool), then wiped over with inox. The paint etch is a good idea, will think of that next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 10:00 AM, anthman said:

Hi guys, i have an aluminium boat (Stabicraft) thats is almost 2 years old. Ive noticed what i can only describe as salt "stains" on the inside (ill upload a photo when i can) through out the inside - almost like bits of salt spray or small splashes that i likely failed to wipe of along time ago. BTW, my cleaning regime does not involves spray everything inside as i have lots of gear in the various storage areas, in case the question is asked. I instead wipe down the surface areas.

 

Im wondering how you all deal with this - id like to spend some time to get rid of it before it gets worse. I was thinking maybe sanding and then polishing with aluminum polish, then some sort of thing protecting coating (wipe down with INOX lanolin?)

 

cheers!

 

MY 9 yr old tinny is the same.It's normal for bare ally mate.You'll be 6ft under long before you need to worry.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, zmk1962 said:

@Fab1 has an unpainted ally boat that looks shiny new in every photo he has put up ... maybe he can pitch in or you can PM him.

Cheers Zoran

PS - if you search the forums there are other entries discussing this ...

 

My boats the same inside mate.(Normal on bare ally).I wash mine out with freshwater inside and sugar soap outside.Hope you're getting some use out of that beast of a boat of yours.ūüĎć

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fab1 said:

MY 9 yr old tinny is the same.It's normal for bare ally mate.You'll be 6ft under long before you need to worry.

My boats the same inside mate.(Normal on bare ally).I wash mine out with freshwater inside and sugar soap outside.Hope you're getting some use out of that beast of a boat of yours.ūüĎć

Fab,  bad idea to use sugar soap on Al-that will actually corrode aluminium as will any alkali and sugar soap is a fairly strong one -back to the OP-what he's seeing is simply  bit of Aluminium oxide formation from "water staining" , it is absolutely nothing to worry about-and as soon as he removes it back to bare Al it will simply re=oxidise anyway-Al is actually one of the most reactive metals in its pure form and the only reason we can use it is because it forms the oxide on the outside-anodizing is the industrial process used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Fab,  bad idea to use sugar soap on Al-that will actually corrode aluminium as will any alkali and sugar soap is a fairly strong one -back to the OP-what he's seeing is simply  bit of Aluminium oxide formation from "water staining" , it is absolutely nothing to worry about-and as soon as he removes it back to bare Al it will simply re=oxidise anyway-Al is actually one of the most reactive metals in its pure form and the only reason we can use it is because it forms the oxide on the outside-anodizing is the industrial process used.

I better stop using it then.I've been washing the outside only with it and rinsing with fresh water.Boat still looks pretty much new.Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      66,835
    • Total Posts
      540,993
×
×
  • Create New...