Boat Overhang

Dan0

Hello Raiders

Just looking for a bit of advice relating to the amount of overhang my boat has past the end of the trailer. 

Recent visit to major brand outlet mechanic, I was advised that the trailer looked too short and non compliant. Anyway I took it to another mechanic who thought it was ok - I had no idea when I was buying that this was an important aspect. Anyway here is a photo showing the 600mm or so from the end of the trailer skid to end of boat

Should i be concerned about anything as I take my family out in it on occasion. Appreciate any thoughts

Appologies if this is in the wrong spot.

thanks

Inked16_LI.jpg

In my experience that is too much overhang.

The transom is carrying all your motor dead weight. Ideally you want a roller or some other trailer support just under the transom or as close to it as possible. 

The way yours is set up, the weight is carried by a section of the hull. If there is a stringer at that point, then all may be good. If not, then it's essentially the ally or fibreglass skin that is carrying that weight. It will flex and eventually fail (crack).

I  have a very similar boat with pod / trailer set up. This is how far my trailer extends... but note the rollers that are pretty much under the transom providing support.

image.png.101ee4cfb1418c2e85631f0923cf1b2e.png

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

1 minute ago, Dan0 said:

zmk1962  cheers, that is exactly what i need. Might have to weld something on the back tho that may put the wheels too far forward

By doing something like I have you are not changing the balance of the trailer ... the wheels can stay exactly where they are. You are just adding support to the transom.  The boat is already balanced where it is, its just using the hull to carry the load, rather than the trailer.

Cheers Zoran

Just now, Dan0 said:

Well, looks like it shouldnt be on skids either - being a fglass boat should be on red rollers.

Lots of FG boats are on skids... and many folks are changing from rollers to skids 'coz of the lower maintenance.  

Just focus on correct support for now... and then on ease of  riding on /off trailer.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

Trailer appears to be too short to me with too much weight not being supported at rear.  There is also the issue of whether there is the correct weight over the towball as this can cause excessive bounce when towing which can affect controll of rig and breaking probs.  Just a thought.  How long is the draw bar, is there any chance youu can move the winch post forward bringing boat further onto the trailer. This may mean you need to move axle as well to adjust drawbar weight.  First thing would be to contact trailer manufacturer ang find out max it was built for.  Dealers selling rigs with unsuitable trailers to cut costs used to be fairly common once but it is rare these days.  Ron 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Take a photo of the entire trailer and boat from the side.

Cheers, Will take some tomorrow 

38 minutes ago, campr said:

Trailer appears to be too short to me with too much weight not being supported at rear.  There is also the issue of whether there is the correct weight over the towball as this can cause excessive bounce when towing which can affect controll of rig and breaking probs.  Just a thought.  How long is the draw bar, is there any chance youu can move the winch post forward bringing boat further onto the trailer. This may mean you need to move axle as well to adjust drawbar weight.  First thing would be to contact trailer manufacturer ang find out max it was built for.  Dealers selling rigs with unsuitable trailers to cut costs used to be fairly common once but it is rare these days.  Ron 

thanks, build plate says 1998 , Yes it only sits on the Chines which is a worry 2000kg rated- 

28 minutes ago, Renegade460 said:

I would be getting another trailer. Rear of boat is sitting on skids on the chines only, too much overhang.

A good trailer will set you back a few grand but at least you know it will be right.

thanks, had a quick google  around 7k to 10k for a decent one, bit out of my reach unfortunatly at the moment. Will have to look at second hand options see if there is anything worthwhile that is at leaast long enough for starters, maybe do that one up

Edited by Dan0

3 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Can you slide the winch post forward to allow the boat to go further on the skid.

Thanks Jeffb - its pretty much maxed out any further and its approaching the welds for the ball joint assembly

From RMS

• Loads that project more than 1.2m behind a trailer must have a red flag attached to the end of the load. This flag must be at least 300 mm square and clearly visible. To avoid having an overhanging load, you should purchase a trailer that suitably contains the load

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/towing.html#:~:text=Loading trailers,-It is important&text=A load must not project,mm square and clearly visible.

So if you have a flag on the back, then you are ok from an over hang point of view. 

Edited by antonywardle

1 hour ago, antonywardle said:

From RMS

• Loads that project more than 1.2m behind a trailer must have a red flag attached to the end of the load. This flag must be at least 300 mm square and clearly visible. To avoid having an overhanging load, you should purchase a trailer that suitably contains the load

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/towing.html#:~:text=Loading trailers,-It is important&text=A load must not project,mm square and clearly visible.

So if you have a flag on the back, then you are ok from an over hang point of view. 

I have a Bright Red / Orange flag which sits on my outboard propeller as when tilted up it falls into the above category, so it was provided by the dealer to meet regulations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey thanks everyone for the information, appologies for the slow reply,  much appreciated will definately have a flag on it just in case from now on.  Well at this point having had a few people have a look, we decided to sell the boat anyway and move to a smaller boat. Something like a high sides tinnie that I can solo drop in Pine river at the drop of a hat so to speak, and not worry bout bottoming out etc. Kids are a bit older and not interested in boating as much as i had hoped, and my mates tinnie is so easy and cheap to run so its eather that or chop the top off and make a centre console maybe, but that means no boat at all for a while and more $$. so will put the advert up next week hopefully.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone 

Just a quick update - well the boat is still parked out front looking a little sad on tyres. Have pulled the trailer out from under it, looking at repair / extending it or possibly replace and sell that one. Welding gear all sorted, just pricing everything up to evaluate if its worth it. 

boat1.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 2:35 PM, Dan0 said:

Hello everyone 

Just a quick update - well the boat is still parked out front looking a little sad on tyres. Have pulled the trailer out from under it, looking at repair / extending it or possibly replace and sell that one. Welding gear all sorted, just pricing everything up to evaluate if its worth it. 

boat1.jpg

I like the boat, what is it??

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

Its a boat.

Bring

On.

Another.

Thousand

😊

I always called it Break Out Another Thousand, but they both come to the same conclusion= Wallet.thumb.jpg.2267aa971c9d1aea5b2c9b7ed1639295.jpg

😂

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I like the boat, what is it??

I always called it Break Out Another Thousand, but they both come to the same conclusion= Wallet.thumb.jpg.2267aa971c9d1aea5b2c9b7ed1639295.jpg

😂

My wallet has looked like the one pictured for 27yrs.Before that it was always full.Then it dawned on me 27 yrs ago I met my mrs and it was all over.😂

• Haha 1