Lure Learning curve Drummoyne

FishyMcFishFace

Set out on a rather windy Friday morning 16th around 7am  for a flick with fellow fishraider Derek. On light gear practicing technique with the sugapens and saw lots of bream and tailor around.. Finally Caught my first topwater with a sugapen (a small tailor) but a great moment when you realise you can actually do it!! Got that movement going pretty well. With Derek's mentoring I improved my cast also and still lots of room to improve. Was mainly scanning the area for bream but not much biting.
Had an intensive lesson and pretty confident I can fish sand flats for whiting, bream etc topwater now. 😄
About lunchtime we heard of possible salmon East of the harbour bridge in one of the bays, so I went home and got my heavier duty rod and reel. There we scanned for flathead with soft plastics after learning the proper action earlier that day I caught my first flatty on a soft plastic!! Another great moment and realisation I've not been using my lure fishing time as efficiently as I could have been 😄
No Salmon interested but we lifted some Whiting and a few small flatties .
That day I learned to retrieve slow jigs, slug-gos, Grubs, Vibes, Metals, Soft plastics topwater lures and much more, too much to list!
We left around 7pm, temperature was dropping and 12 hours of intensive learning and was absolutely shattered by the end of the day. Thanks Derek, I was perplexed by your knowledge and thanks for your time, energy and patience. 
Cheers to FishRaider I'm a waay better fisho than before Friday.. its going to be a great summer of fishing!!

Screenshot_20201017-224558_Gallery.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks again @DerekD we are are very lucky to have members like you who help others.

This is what is special about our community fishraider.

Look forward to your reports @FishyMcFishFace

I'm truly stuck out on my own without guys like @DerekD helping me out with the lures and @Pickles helping me out on the boat with the kingies... I'll be unstoppable in no time 😄 

Cheers legends!

• Like 3

@FishyMcFishFace yeah its great fun on topwater, especially for tailor. I have caught a bunch of tailor on top water and they fight like crazy. Congrats on your first topwater tailor 👏👏👏. Its especially great to see them jump out of the water and take the lure. What colour and size sugpen did you use? For me my go to would be a C393 colour on a 95mm. Heres a photo of the tailor I caught a while ago. In my experience, I find catching tailor on top water, when the water is a little choppy and wavy to be the best, as it is the big splash that attracted them to my sugapen. Might of just been the day, and they were just really active, but I would recommend to give it a go when its a little bit windy, but not too windy otherwise you won't be able to see anything.  

Cheers 

Azza_Fishing 25826154_ScreenShot2020-09-28at9_45_58pm.thumb.png.34e31e9c6d3f954d3c0222a7dd8f847c.png

Edited by Azza_Fishing
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

...hear @DerekD gave you an intensive & exhausting tuition session

It was almost a case of make him or break him. I was also a little footsore after 12 hours of tuition. I did go fishing the  next day though.

FMFF has gotten a few of the various walk the dog retrieves nailed to the point I'm happy with it and I feel he can use them with confidence. A few other things still to get a little more consistent but his skill set is growing.

• Like 2

I'm a little at a loss for words ("as if", say those who know me pretty well).

One of my philosophies in life is that it can be hard enough and even helping people in just a little way at the right time can make a world of difference.

While not a formally trained teacher, I've had a tendency to say "can I make a suggestion" when I see people struggling with something that I may have mastered or am a few steps ahead of them on the learning curve.

One of the joys of this site (thank you Donna and Stewy) is that you have a chance to help people wanting to improve their fishing knowledge. I try and help several each year in skillsets in which I think I am pretty competent. Not really a rule as to how I select these people but I do have a preference for those who come across as pleasant in their posts and are asking questions with a bit of thought behind them. A little bit cheeky doesn't hurt either. I've had a few reach out to me and I also reach out where I can to people asking for help where I can add value. If geography and schedules permit then we will meet up. On a personal level I've connected with and kept in contact with about half of these people.

The latest person I've been mentoring is FMFF (Steve). Last Friday I had a lot of fun watching him grasp various concepts during the day. When you've been doing stuff for a long time you can forget how long it really took you to work it out so he did really well considering how much information I threw at him.

Normally I'm happy with some good company, a chance to show off a little (I admit it), the flashes of joy when they have an aha moment and a paid for meal somewhere along the way. Steve went a fair bit beyond what I would have been happy with and organised a generous voucher to one of my local tackle stores.

Firstly, thank you! Secondly, it is humbling when people are so gracious in their thank you when you help them with something which for me is fun. Each mentoring session usually takes at least a day and uses a fair bit of energy but I consider it worth it if it makes a positive difference in an aspect of their life.

Looking forward to our next session and hopefully we can get your girlfriend out for a fish soon.

PS - seems I found a few words....

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, Azza_Fishing said:

@FishyMcFishFace yeah its great fun on topwater, especially for tailor. I have caught a bunch of tailor on top water and they fight like crazy. Congrats on your first topwater tailor 👏👏👏. Its especially great to see them jump out of the water and take the lure. What colour and size sugpen did you use? For me my go to would be a C393 colour on a 95mm. Heres a photo of the tailor I caught a while ago. In my experience, I find catching tailor on top water, when the water is a little choppy and wavy to be the best, as it is the big splash that attracted them to my sugapen. Might of just been the day, and they were just really active, but I would recommend to give it a go when its a little bit windy, but not too windy otherwise you won't be able to see anything.  

Cheers 

Azza_Fishing 25826154_ScreenShot2020-09-28at9_45_58pm.thumb.png.34e31e9c6d3f954d3c0222a7dd8f847c.png

Nice mate, Tailor taste incredible smoked too! 

Cheers!

I've got a few.. a couple I haven't even used yet, I think the clear with purple one possibly hf119 70mm is the one I was using. I heard the ones with the least colour are best for whiting.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, 61 crusher said:

Great to hear @DerekD gave you an intensive & exhausting tuition session & @Pickles got you onto some kings 

Hope you managed to take it all in and got a few tips regarding squidding along the way 👍

Cheers, Haven't forgot about the Avoca session mate! Got a few and a crazy huge pb squid with Bob and a pb 75cm King on the same day! 

• Like 2

Went out Sunday for a flick with Derek and the Missus, she was also learning the basics from Derek.. we landed a couple of tailor and improved my swing/flick casting gaining extra distance Especially with the Halco Twisty!

Headed out today finished work earlyish 3pm started flicking for some flathead, lost my plastic and my FG knot (that took me 20 mins to tie). Got my SP's chewed and no results. 

Was practising casting and retrieve 

Retied my FG and started flicking the Twisty after seeing Tailor busting up was hoping for Salmon. Started getting hits and bites then hooked up! My first catch on the halco twisty and got over 10 of them! With one of decent size for a feed. . there was a crowd of people filming me, looked liked I'd never had a donut before 😄

A very fun evening with lots of action with my confidence in lures growing every session! 

Screenshot_20201027-194818_Video Player.jpg

• Like 4