Offshore Performance with the Merc 150HP 4ST - whale watching 5 crew.

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

With the offshore action being reported as slow, and the water temp still being reported around the 17C mark, last Sunday I took the opportunity to take the family whale watching. So while we had no fishing gear on board, It was a good opportunity to test the 150HP 4st pushing the Haines 635L with 5 onboard. 

So net, we covered 136km on the water - launching at Ermington Warf for a scenic harbour run, and then chased whales up to Pittwater and back.  I forgot to switch navionics off at the ramp, so it recorded the 15km drive home and shows 151km total track.

image.png.d6d1e74a4140a5a81a03a7cea4ac4ca6.png

The motor now has some 38hrs on the clock and has loosened up. Picking up holeshot and top end as expected.

Offshore cruising was in the 25-60km/h range. As many of you know, whale watching should be renamed whale chasing - 30sec uptime and 5min down time - pop up anywhere ! So the day was spent cruising, idling, accelerating to the next spot.

image.png.8de1988795b23c1e25f8d6a99aab43b6.png

Overall consumption was 96.7L for 136km on the water :  avg 1.4km/L  or  0.71 L/km. So still no negatives to report - and still blown away by the 150HP beast pushing the 6.35m Haines.

For those interested there's a short video below ... ignore my family's antics please ... Whales are just majestic creatures and seeing whales in their environment always brings out the adrenaline -  so expect lots of ooohs aaahhhs and squeals of delight from the crew ....  !         (suggest you watch in HD setting on youtube)

Cheers Zoran

PS - have to get a better camera set up ... gopro hero 5 is not cutting it anymore (1st world problem) !

Edited by zmk1962
content
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Davison said:

To date the best modern 150hp produced. Big displacement, torque curve like a 200hp, only 206kg.

.... and sips like a teetotaler ....   Hahaha yes who would have thought such a thing existed !   Speaking from experience?

Cheers Z

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome stuff Z . You took the boat out, with family, saw some whales, got the blood pumping.

cant ask for much more than that 👌

Thanks Sam ... can't complain for sure. .... and I had 2 good eyes to see the action to boot.

Cheers Zoran

On 10/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, kingie chaser said:

Looks like a fantastic day out with all the family Zoran :biggrinthumb:

Nothing like a day like that to remind yourself we are just small cogs on a big chain in a beautiful yet fragile world.

Couldn't agree more KC ! ... thanks.

19 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great video & what a beautiful day to be out on the water sharing with family

Thanks Dieter ! ... 

Look forward to our next fishraider sesh guys when the warmer currents arrive ... hopefully with a bit more scale to show for the effort.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Beautiful day out and a lovely family Zoran. 

You devoted the day to them and took no fishing gear!! What a great bloke you are :1clap:

Thanks Donna ... wasn't a hard decision to make they are entertaining ! .... and as a bonus it helps to keep the VicePresident of HR, Home Affairs and Finances happy with the boat  🤓

Cheers Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi all...Zoran,you seem super pleased with your merc.

i recently got myself a 675 hains hunter with a 250 v8 merc and very happy customer.reading about your 150 merc got me thinking about the fuel consumption of my 250 v8 merc.

one trip comes to my mind,it is still today my biggest trip.i had scratchie with me and another mate,so 3 of us.we went from little beach ramp Nelson bay,about 4.ooam.went to cabbage tree island for bait and headed to seals rocks in pitch black dark driving carefully,at a guess about 40 plus Klm in distance.we mucked around drifting and trying many different spots,probably racked up another couple of Kim’s.we caught some snapper and headed east to the 100m depth mark in a hurry,which would be about 10 klm.we then trolled to port Stephens fad in hopes of a marlin,we done no good on the marlin.but at a guess it was 30 plus klm to the fad.fad was dead,so headed back to ramp and called it a day,at a guess another 15 klm,but we drove back flat out the whole time.im not sure how fast my boat goes,it’s either 80klm or 90 klm flat out.i fuel my boat by filling jerry cans (black plastic),they take more than 20 litres,around 23ltr chock a block.I put 4 jerry cans in my boat the next fill.at a guess I put more than 90 litres in.my engine may or may not have been run it at this point.i was pretty impressed by the fuel consumption even with in accurate   Figures.

i drive my boat without fuel consumption in mind,always in a hurry.scratchie and some other locals would be able to check my distances for a little more accuracy.but it give a general idea of consumption.im happy anyway.

Awesome @back cruncher !  The 675 Haines with the Merc 250 v8 would be like a destroyer- slicing through the seas. Just on the rough stats you gave that’s about 1km/L or 1L/km .... pretty amazing eh. Opens up so much range and so many options for fishing. One of the problems I now face is which fishing gear do I NOT take along. The bottom bash gear, spinning gear, trolling gear, deep drop gear, down rigger gear.... they could all be used on a trip. Makes the boat look like a a shop store as @kingie chaserand @61 crushercan verify.

Like you I do not drive for economy - max for the conditions and nature of boating  - anything else would detract from the fun.

cheers Zoran

btw - your smart craft gauges would give you all the stats at the press of a button 

• Like 1

Hi all...zoran,fuel consumption and klm recording never enter my mind,you got to pay what ever it costs to go fishing,lol.but after reading your posts on your new merc,I will document when I do another trip to seals and get some accuracy to fuel consumtion.

i enjoy reading your posts,keep it up.

11 minutes ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...zoran,fuel consumption and klm recording never enter my mind,you got to pay what ever it costs to go fishing,lol.but after reading your posts on your new merc,I will document when I do another trip to seals and get some accuracy to fuel consumtion.

i enjoy reading your posts,keep it up.

Agree 100% - I'll borrow @wrxhoon1's saying : "you gotta feed the horses" ....and add... "to go fishing" ! ... 🥇 🤣

I've gone to some detail on my Merc for two reasons.

a) knowing the consumption stats gives me a lot of confidence in planning trips (range, duration etc) under different conditions (I am limited to 240L fuel onboard), and

b) this is the type of data that is gold when someone is planning a repower. I wish I could have laid my hands on it when I was searching. 

As the motor gets fully run in, (and the water warms up) my posts will lean more toward the fishy topics.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

great vid mate we fished the harbour on sunday to ,not a bad day as the weatherman said rain and wind. and it was so plesent out there and the boat ramp at drummoyne was soo quiet for once .we bagged 7 flatties all around 40cm a few flounders and a nice 1.2kg jacket .not much surface action happening cheers dunc 333

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

great vid mate we fished the harbour on sunday to ,not a bad day as the weatherman said rain and wind. and it was so plesent out there and the boat ramp at drummoyne was soo quiet for once .we bagged 7 flatties all around 40cm a few flounders and a nice 1.2kg jacket .not much surface action happening cheers dunc 333

Great stuff. .. we live in a magic city.  Hey .... we may have passed each other ...

Cheers Zoran

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Great stuff. .. we live in a magic city

In an ideal world would love to have way more offshore reef & islands like they have in many other part of the country like Qld & WA but hey you just have to work with what you have in the end right!

I think I just keep teasing myself by watching fishing shows based in FNQ, NT & WA in places like the Abrolhos Islands.

But I keep dreaming.............................one day.

Edited by kingie chaser