Insect Repellent

Green Hornet

I'm after peoples opinions on what is the best insect repellent to combat sandflies? I haven't fished areas where they've been a problem for many years and RID was the go back then.

Not really interested in homemade concoctions and something water resistant would be a bonus, or really a necessity.

Thanks in advance.

I personally believe that the Bushmans heavy duty (with 80% DEET) is your best option. But you could try the standard version (20% DEET) first I guess to see if it works for you. With sandflies I wouldn't bother with Aeroguard, its useless in my opinion.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

I personally believe that the Bushmans heavy duty (with 80% DEET) is your best option. But you could try the standard version (20% DEET) first I guess to see if it works for you. With sandflies I wouldn't bother with Aeroguard, its useless in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about Bushmans and googled it, but there were so many different types, I thought it best to post on Raider.

Mullatt, where I'm going Aeroguard is like tomato sauce to sandflies. Your 80 and 20% comments were exactly what I was after.

Think I'll try the 80 first and give the 20 a go later on.

Edited by Green Hornet

Years ago when there were army disposal stores around you could buy a small green bottle of bug repellent the best ever. We camp very regularly on the sand islands at Lake Macquarie sand fly capital of Australia all mentioned products help but best is baby oil and dettol mix applied liberally the little buggers drown in the oil also water proof and better for the skin and stops you choking on the fumes. Make sure application is done before sunset.

• Like 2