Squid hunt October 202020

jenno64

I didn't get out for a fish on the weekend but have been eyeing off a calm midweek after work session. This arvo the forecast was for light winds but I hit the water at 5pm and it was blowing about 15kn from the ENE. I pedalled to my first spot and threw both rods out ready to drift back with the strong breeze. Just as I put the rods down both were hit on the drop and it was one first cast. Got one good size hood in and immediately threw the jig back near the other hooked up inker. Bang and on again so within a few minutes I had three squid in the landing net at the same time! Dispatched these and got them on ice. The next hour was hard work as the brown snotty weed was fouling the jigs every few minutes. Managed another two over the hour and back to the ramp. Great to get a midweek feed and these will go down well this weekend!

5 Inkers October 20 2020.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice inkers there Rob especially for the bay!👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 

Do you find they eat better (softer) when caught, processed and left in the fridge for a couple of days? Do u soak em in anything?

I do panko crumb rings for the kids but sometimes they are quite firm if fresh, I’ve tried the kiwi fruit or milk soak but still not as soft as the old imported stuff u but from the fish market, any ideas appreciated mate. 

9 hours ago, Ribs said:

Very nice inkers there Rob especially for the bay!👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 

Do you find they eat better (softer) when caught, processed and left in the fridge for a couple of days? Do u soak em in anything?

I do panko crumb rings for the kids but sometimes they are quite firm if fresh, I’ve tried the kiwi fruit or milk soak but still not as soft as the old imported stuff u but from the fish market, any ideas appreciated mate. 

Ribs

For the hoods around 30cm it pays to rub them with a slice of kiwi fruit an hour before cooking. Other wise just scoring them and cooking them for a minute each side works for me. Pankos are good too but fiddly unless you have deep fryer. I just cleaned mine in salt water and froze the hoods ready for a weekend bbq:)