Im catching a snapper tomorrow morning!!!

M1100S

My local fishing shop owner gave me a mark where they got some snapper and morwong last week and tomorrow planned my day off...weather is looking good and swell and wind low.

All is ready and will hit the mark given which is off kurnell lighthouse hopefully as sun just coming up. Will be drifting around in about 50m

Will have my paternotser rigs... a light weight running sinker rig with a pillie to float down and also one rod with a squid put out the back.

Wish me luck fellows raiders.... hope i report back with good news tomorrow.

Screenshot_20201020-203301_Boating HD.jpg

Edited by M1100S
  • Like 7

So technically i achieved my goal.. well semi sort i did.... i got myself a snapper, but about 28.5cm so back she went to grow a little more to catch her next time.

Was a nice morning and a easy run out to the mark where i was going to fish and was nice until about 9am when the wind just decided to come one strong... stayed for another hour then packed it up and headed home. 

got a nice little mixed bag today so was pretty happy... i think that is a PB flatty for me, solid fella he was. 

so on the pic of my drifts supposedly where the red X is someone on navionics labelled this as reef. it looked like a desert to me on the sounder lol... and the red squiggly line is where i landed the flathead. To me that would mean a sandy bottom, maybe clay mud ? there green line is where i got the Morwong and the tailor/slimey/yakka. so could that have possible been the edge of the rocks/reef ?

Also i caught 2 fish like th ebottom pic... not sure what they were, are they  nanagai... they were about 15 - 20cm long ... I could not find them on my fisheries chart so threw em back to be safe. anyone know what they might have been and is there a size limit

Also interesting only one rod was going off. The tailor i caught on my pillie floating out the back but i had 2 rods with a paternoster rig. On one i decided instead of doing the normal way i do my paternoster which is to do droppers where u make a circle and wrap the lines together then feed it through (forgot the name of this style) i used a swivel between each dropper and then made the line about 25-30cm long to the hook. the other way would only have about 10cm to the hook 

im thinking that the longer line made the bait more presentable and floated out better maybe down in the water....hence all the fish on that rod. 

All in all a good day was had... now the bad part of fishing... off to clean up the boat :(

snap.jpg

catch.jpg

courses.jpg

nana.jpg

Edited by M1100S
  • Like 9

Well done .... you set out with a plan and executed .... you can now learn of the successes and refocus on where you missed plan.

Regarding cleaning boat and gear - since it needs to happen every time... my suggestion is to find a way to enjoy - it will make it so much less of a chore !

Maybe crank up the music and crack open a cold one ....

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3

Sounds like a good productive day from a set plan which I think we all should aspire to achieve.

Looks like you might have received a good mark from one of my local tackle stores in Global tackle who are a good bunch of guys willing to help with advice for regular customers 😉

• Confused 1

Nice work M1100S, you scored a nice bag considering it was your first attempt at this spot.

If you dont mind, i have a few tips for your next trip !

1. Those slimeys and yakka are G-U-N bait. Next time dont put them in your bag, convert them into something more tasty. They are very good strip and flesh baits for flathead, reef species and your target species - snapper !

2. With the paternoster rig, you will find that the distance between your lowest hook and the sinker can make the difference between catching at all, and if you do catch, what species you are catching. When im reef bashing for snapper i have at least one rod with 1m clear between the sinker/lead and the lowest hook.

3. Its not clear if you did have a snapper rig out, but if you didnt, its a must. Ball sinker straight to a double snelled octopus hooks in size 5 or 6. Put out a whole pilchard, or a strip of slimey.

4. Not mentioned in your report, but keep an eye on your drift speed. If you start drifting faster than 1.2km/hr or 1.5km/hr - throw out a sea anchor (buy one if you dont have one - they are about $50). Drift speed is absolutely critical for bottom bashing.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, GoingFishing said:

Nice work M1100S, you scored a nice bag considering it was your first attempt at this spot.

If you dont mind, i have a few tips for your next trip !

1. Those slimeys and yakka are G-U-N bait. Next time dont put them in your bag, convert them into something more tasty. They are very good strip and flesh baits for flathead, reef species and your target species - snapper !

2. With the paternoster rig, you will find that the distance between your lowest hook and the sinker can make the difference between catching at all, and if you do catch, what species you are catching. When im reef bashing for snapper i have at least one rod with 1m clear between the sinker/lead and the lowest hook.

3. Its not clear if you did have a snapper rig out, but if you didnt, its a must. Ball sinker straight to a double snelled octopus hooks in size 5 or 6. Put out a whole pilchard, or a strip of slimey.

4. Not mentioned in your report, but keep an eye on your drift speed. If you start drifting faster than 1.2km/hr or 1.5km/hr - throw out a sea anchor (buy one if you dont have one - they are about $50). Drift speed is absolutely critical for bottom bashing.

Im open to all forms of tips as a lot of great advice on here...its invaluable :)

i think i need to go catch my own yakkas in the morning for bait.... i kept these ones as still had bait, was using slimeys but from a previous trip out so were not fresh. I know they say fresh is best. I also started using bigger triangular pieces as i always used a small strip about finger width and maybe 7 or 8cm long. 

Interesting on the bottom dropper length... mine were probably 60cm or so... next time will use one 1m long. i usually put 2 paternoster rods out so will do one extra long. 

I had a snapper rig.... i was using a ball sinker ( 28g ) and was down to a a snelled with a pilchard like you said and thre out the back of the boat but it looked like it just sank to the bottom and not really floating, tried a 9g ball sinker and that was too light for the current and depth i was in i think. with this rig do you cast out.... let is sink and hit bottom wind in the repeat or do you cast and leave bail arm open and let line feed out ?

i do have the sea anchor and some times was drifting at 1km others 2km.... wind was all over the place. 

Below are some screenshots of the sounders.... would you say they are bait balls or maybe the slimeys + yakka i caught... as they were all caught on the paternoster rig.  Finally those yellow lines right on the bottom .... are they bugger fish or just somethign on the bottom the sounder picks up

Again Gone Fishing thanks heaps for all the tips .... greatly appreciated

sounder 3.jpg

sounder2.jpg

sounder1.jpg

Edited by M1100S